Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fannie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2003, 01:08 AM
    Mirror tiles
    Recently I bought some mirror wall tiles and when I asked how to cut them the Home Depot employee said the only thing I could use was a little red tool with a tiny metal wheel on the end. I've about ruined all of the one package of tiles trying to cut a straight line. I must not be strong enough to score it well enough to make the cut. Isn't there anything else I could use for this that would be easier to make the cut?
    chrisbaker4937 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2003, 04:53 AM
    mirror tiles
    Hi,

I am not sure if you are trying to cut straight lines or curves but if it's the former you can buy a cutter from good diy stores.

I bought one that is basically thin and longer then the tiles with a big yellow handle that is attached to the diamond wheel. It has a ruler attached to ensure you cut off the right amount. All you do is run the wheel down the tile once and then push the handle down, this breaks the tile on a small bar underneath but in perfect line with the score you made with the wheel.

Mine can cut stone floor tiles as well as terracotta tiles so mirror tiles wouldn't be a problem. I got mine from B&Q in the tiling section - not cheap but I only broke 2 tiles out of 60 in our conservatory so a pretty good success rate.

Sorry can't recall the make - can look if you need it - just ask.
    fannie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2003, 11:24 AM
    mirror tiles
    What is B&Q? What is the tool called you used? I already went to Home Depot and I also called all the hardware stores around town. They all said they didn't know of any other way to cut glass than the crappy little tool I have. When I asked them if I were to bring a piece of glass in for them to cut, would they be using one of those crappy little tools to cut it, they became evasive. One person finally admitted to me that they would use a machine, but didn't know how I could get one for myself. Is this some kind of trade secret or something? What is the machine called that they use? How much does it cost? Where can I buy one? Why won't anyone give me an answer to my questions about it?
    chrisbaker4937 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2003, 05:13 AM
    mirror tiles
    Hi B&Q is a diy store here in England they have a website at: -

www.diy.com

And the item I used to cut all my tiles is viewable at: -

http://www.diy.com/bq/product/produc...6&CATID=188262

However I am not sure its suitable for mirror tiles - sorry !

?
    CrashedHDD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 02:59 PM
    The tool you were shown uses a stainless steel wheel... usually lubricated to score the glass. I suggest NOT employing this. I purchased a DIAMOND TIP scoreing tool years ago and won't use anything else... FYI... Diamond tipped scoreing tools are how manufacturers get the "cutting edge" over the amateurs (Sorry about the pun... I couldn't help myself)
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Dec 6, 2009, 05:27 PM

You need to clean the mirror well before attempting to cut. Also cut on the front of the mirror. It doesn't take a lot of pressure. You can hear the cutter as you are doing it.
    HOW TO CUT GLASS...HOW TO CUT MIRROR...
    Glazier Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2012, 07:23 AM
    OK, I've been glazing for 40 years to let you know.
    That little red tool was probably a "Red Devil" cutter. It works but not long.
    The idea is do not "Push Hard". It does not take strength to cut through, it takes a "score".
    You NEVER make a score on top of another score. If you do, you can throw that cutter away because it
    Just about destroys the hone on the wheel.
    What you want to do is take the cutter and run it over the glass, JUST enough to make a score.
    The score is a thin line that the wheel makes that looks like a scratch.
    If you press too hard, it frys the glass and will not work.
    If you score it twice, you ruin the cutter and make the score hot, and that will not work.
    Even though I have been cutting glass for 40 years, I can rarely make a "Red Devil" work very long and do not get very many cuts off it.
    A green cutter known as a Fletcher is the best and you can normally get one from any glass shop in your area.
    For more information on cutting glass I have put up a page on my website that you are welcome to take a look at for directions on making it easy to cut glass.
    http://www.abacaglass.com/how_to_cut_glass.htm
    It shows how to cut beveled mirror strips, but it is basically all the same... glass or mirror cuts the same.
    Sorry to have heard your problems on cutting up all your mirror tiles, but next time, practice on one until you get the hang of it, then go for the money cuts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is interacting with an antique mirror [ 2 Answers ]

A few months ago I acquired an antique vanity. My cat acts very strangely toward the mirror part of the vanity. He will sit on the vanity and stare into the mirror, several times a day, for long periods. Often he has the same look as he would if he was looking out a window and seeing a bird or...

Film on mirror [ 2 Answers ]

Any advice on the best way to clean mirrors. W are non smokers, however,it seems if there is a film on my mirrors. Also, any ideas on the best way to clean windows. My windows are old and have to be removed from the outside

Man in the Mirror... what life is all about... [ 4 Answers ]

More on loving yourself first... this is step one and must be completed before you even consider a serious relationship... When you get all you want and you struggle for self, and the world makes you king for a day, then go to the mirror and look at yourself and see what that man has...

How to hang a bedroom mirror [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved and need someone to help hang a bedroom mirror. Can anyone suggest how this can be done? Gatnus Rockaway, NJ

Drilling holes in mirror [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've never drilled a mirror before and I need a little help, I'm mounting two wall sconces over a bathroom vanity and need two small mounting screw holes and a small hole to accommodate the wiring for each sconce. A 4' by 5' mirror is on the wall it sits in a bottom channel and is held in...

View more questions Search