Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    The Rock Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2006, 09:00 AM
    Worms in apple trees
    Hi!
    How can we stop worms from eating the apples in the trees?
    I live in Ontario, Canada and it's starting to get warm and It won't be long before the flowers will strart showing in the trees.

Thanks in adavance
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Hi, Rock,
    I live in the United States, and we use a pesticide spray; applied with either a two gallon type hand sprayer, or with a larger, more commercial type sprayer, on wheels, pulled by a tractor.
    Are there any Farm Stores, Cooperative Stores, etc, in your local area?
    Talking with them could give you information on what type of sprays others use.
    If you have any problems with birds, try hanging some aluminum foil strips from the apple tree branches. Birds are afraid of the constant spinning, and glare. It does work for awhile. I don't know any other remedy for worms other than spraying. I do wish you the best of luck.
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Mar 30, 2006, 04:16 PM
    To get the best results from fruit trees you need to put together a spray program and stick to it. You should use an all purpose spray that covers many insects and diseases. Bonide Company makes an excellent all purpose fruit tree spray product and is sold at Home Depot. Concentrated solution and makes a lot of spray when diluted properly with water. Now is also the time for a dormant oil spray that will take care of scale and other problems. It's a horticulature spray oil that is not toxic. When used following instructions, I have found that Bonide products work without being hazardous. Just remember to follow the directions exactly and never spray on a windy day or when flowers open. Bees are the pollinators of most fruit, and some sprays will kill them. It took me many years to decide that the bugs will win without a spray program. BUT- You must follow directions exactly and make sure to apply and use the product in the way it was designed to be applied. Good Luck. P.S.--Best time to spray is at first light in the morning when the wind is calm.
    jim40scot Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 12, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Most apple worm problems /damage in the northern climates are caused by the apple maggot. The adult fly resembles a small house fly. This fly emerges in late June through late July in my area, Port Huron Mi. it immediately mates, then the female injects her eggs into the maturing fruit. The eggs hatch inside the apple and the larve tunnel throughout the fruit and also secrete a substance which causes the fruit to drop early. The maggots then leave the fruit and burrow into the earth where they overwinter until next summer when they emerge as adult flies,and the nasty little buggers start the cycle over again.However, they can be controlled by applying a pesticide called Imidan a couple of times during the period that the flies become active. Check with your local province/ county ag agent as they track this emergence date accurately and usually have call in number or website that you can access. Good luck.
    Jim
    LindaS56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Both the apple maggot and the coddling moth cause damage to apples, pears and Asian pears. The apple maggot fly lays eggs just under the skin of the apple, then when it hatches it eats through the fruit. The coddling moth lays eggs on the leaves, branches and sometimes the fruit. When it hatches it eats a tunnel through the fruit to get to the seeds.

Members of the Seattle Tree Fruit Society in Washington state has been using Maggot Barriers to protect the fruit for several years. Maggot Barriers are nearly 100% effective against apple maggot and 75% - 80% effective against coddling moth. Maggot Barriers are small nylon "socks" that are slipped over the fruit when they are about the size of a marble. Unlike a plastic bag or paper bag, they allow water, air and sunshine in.

You can order Maggot Barriers by sending an email to [email protected] (formerly [email protected]). They cost $20 for 300 and all proceeds go to the non-profit group which supports fruit research and education.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could my Yorkie have WORMS? [ 3 Answers ]

I am not sure what the signs of worms are. For a couple days he was throwing up a little and I am not sure why, but he has stopped now. He is laying beside me and his belly is making the weirdest noises. Gurgling and whatnot. He doesn't eat ANYTHING but his dog food, ever. We don't feed him table...

Worms 1 With Xp [ 1 Answers ]

I just feel like playing Worms on my computer. Find back CD, install it without problems. Then I can't run it. Does anyone know how to run it with Windows XP?

Apple trees [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 harolred apple tree for 3 years now and one has never blossomed and the other one has only produced one apple. Is it because trees are still young or is there a problem thanks Eva ::)

Nursing cat with worms [ 2 Answers ]

My cat gave birth 26 days ago. We knew she had worms before the birth and now she is so very thin and nursing. She eats an awful lot and is in the litter box constantly. I have found no round worms in the feces but she does throw them up. When can I worm her? Shouldn't I worm the kittens as...

Apple trees [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to get information about rehabing apple trees. The tree's belong to a friend. There are two. For several years the tree's have produced fruit that is knarly And not really edable. They are badly thatched and need Pruned. I have read several articles on pruning them but I...

View more questions Search