Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jarhead88 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 08:09 AM
    2001 Windstar leaking trans fluid from axle seal
    I'm kind of at a loss on this one. I've had the drivers side front axle seal replaced on my wife's van by my mechanic. It was leaking pretty good. After getting the car home it started leaking again. Took it back and they put in a new seal. Both seals came from ford dealer. Car didn't leak for two weeks. Now car leaks after about two hours after you shut it off. Sometimes it doesn't leak at all. Its an intermittent prob but getting very annoying.
    Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!! :confused:
    lupee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2008, 10:04 AM
    What you need to do is get rid of the van! I had the same van, it was always breaking down and it costed my thousands of dollars to fix and it finally broke down completely last year. During the times I had to call for towing. The tow truck drivers always told me, "windstars are no good." Sorry!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Here's how it's normally done:

. Pry seal and metal protector from transaxle case with a large screwdriver or prybar.

. Tap new seal into case with a seal driver or large socket, with an outside diameter slightly smaller than that of the seal, and a hammer. Ensure seal is square and seated in the bore (be careful not to cock the seal in the bore). Then, use a seal driver to install a new metal cover over the seal (make sure this was done).

. Reinstall driveaxle, wheels and lug nuts. Lower vehicle and tighten driveaxle/hub nut to proper torque (make sure this was done).

Many mechanics only use air tools these days and don't torque fasteners properly. Accordingly, they tend to be over or under torqued. This should have been a straight-forward and uneventful repair. Since it's a Ford, I would take it to Ford for servicing, especially for anything major.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troy Bilt Axle Seal [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to change an axle seal on a Troy Bilt Bronco Model 12180?

2001 ford windstar making noises and hitting/missing [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had my 2nd injector replaced, as well as the spark plugs, but now when I get the van up to 90kms or more I hear a loud noise, the other day sounded like it was popping.

2001 ford ranger edge v6. Trans fluid [ 1 Answers ]

This truck has 60,500 miles on it and this has the original trans fluid in it. Seems to be working fine. I hear two stories about changing trans fluid. One says you should change the filter too, one says flush only is fine. Which is true?

2001 Honda Accord Ex Coupe Trans/electrical? [ 1 Answers ]

I Have A 2001 Honda Ex Coupe That Gets Regularly Stuck In Park. Have To Cycle The Ignition And "stomp" On The Brake Pedal Numerous Times To Get It To Shift Out Of Park. There Are Numerous Lights On The Dash On Also. They Are Random In Which Ones And Length Of Time They Stay On. I Don't Know...

View more questions Search