Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daintylu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Dropped ceiling with recess
    My '70's kitchen has a dropped ceiling, with a 12" recess that is 8' X 3.5'. There are 6 fluorescent lights around the top of the recess and it was covered by plastic diffuser panels to create a dome with a ceiling fan in the middle. Removing the dropped ceiling would be major deconstruction that we do not want to do. I love the bright lighting but I want the dome & fluorescents gone.

In Florida we need to keep the ceiling fan. What would you suggest that I do about Paint/lighting/decor etc. in this recess?

Thanks.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jul 6, 2008, 09:26 PM
    I also have a recessed light in my kitchen and I painted the trim the same color as the ceiling so it is not as noticeable. I hate it but I don't feel like pulling it out and sheetrocking-taping and floating and painting and then install rececessed lighting.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 01:22 PM
    If you remove the dome and the fluorescents you will lose your "bright lighting" and will be essentially removing and reinstalling the drop ceiling, which is "major deconstruction that we do not want to do". Either leave it, or remove the drop ceiling entirely, which will be easier than just removing the dome section.

At least, that's how I understand your description. Pictures may help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of recess light do I need for a ceiling with a crawl space on top [ 1 Answers ]

What's the difference between ic recess cans and non ic recess can and what locations there both allow to be used in

Q's About Compact Fluorescent Recess Lighting [ 9 Answers ]

I have a couple q's about some of the compact fluorescent recess lights I've been looking at from Halo. I'm planing out some lighting for the front of my garage and I will be using these in the soffits in front of the garage door for accent lighting/wall wash. I'm curious what the difference is...

Fluorescent and incandescent recess lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 recess fluorescent lights controlled with 2 3-way switches. Can I add a incandescent recess light to this circuit? Thanks

Spacing of Recess Light [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing recess lights in my living room (20' x 17'). The old ceiling has been demolished, so the installation is relatively easy. My question is: How far apart should I space the lights to have adequate general purpose lighting in the room?

View more questions Search