Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Mar 24, 2006, 04:30 PM
    Any Ideas For Porch Skirting?
    Hi. We are trying to decide what would look good as a skirting for our front porch. It previously had plain wood lattice and that has been removed. We have looked at vinyl lattice but would prefer something more solid. Has anyone had experience with stone (faux) veneer? Can't find a source for it. Porch is two feet off the ground and forty feet long. Would appreciate any ideas to make it look nice. Thanks. Dave.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2006, 04:52 PM
    They have this boarding that looks like brick or rock, I really made a house in our neighborhood look so much better
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Hi, Dave,
    Do you have a Lowe's in your local area? I am sure they could show you some of their skirtings, both vinyl, wood, and plastic. Maybe it would help make your decision. Best of luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2006, 08:36 PM
    I have seen houses with a stone looking siding. Before I put vinyl on my house, I had tried to find a source for it. The places I asked, said only home improvement companies have it. Many areas have home and garden shows before long. Maybe wonder through one of them.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Mar 25, 2006, 09:02 PM
    The faux stone isn't too difficult to install. With the porch install 3/4" pressure treated plywood. Then install wire lathe to the plywood. Use the recommended thinset. Usually for marble and stone. Will say on the bag. Mix the thinset almost like peanut butter. Too soupy and the stones will slide, too dry the stones won't stick. Start from the top down to grade. Reason so any thinset dropped won't land on good stones. But if your careful you can start from grade up seeing your only going 2'. After the stones are set (usually 24hrs) Install the grout between the stones w/ a grout bag. Mix the grout so if flows out of the bag and won't clog the tip. As the grout starts to dry use a stick to strike the joints between the stones.
    As always follow the manufactures reommendations for installation (not all stone is set the same), thinset and grout specs for exterior application.
    I've install a few interior fireplace surrounds with the faux stone. You can't tell it faux unless you look closely and tap on it.
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Mar 26, 2006, 03:38 PM
    Thank you all so much for the responses. Learning more every day as I search the web for products related to this situation. We may go back to lattice because everything else is so expensive and hard to find. Lowe's, Home Depot and other local home improvement stores only carry vinyl or wood lattice. Composite boards look nice but cost a lot . Always looking for ideas as I drive down the road and will probably come up with something soon. Spring is here and I want to finish this project soon so I can go fishing and listen to a ballgame game. Thanks again. Dave.
    boneyfreak Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2006, 07:51 PM
    Cement board siding, comes in a few different patterns, can be painted easily.
    Vinyle lattice, can also be painted but MUST be done with the correct primer.
    Vinyle skirting is avail. At the local mobile home or RV store normally

Just remember to install adequate ventilation, and if you use louvered vent covers install TWICE as many vents or double the vent size.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sleep porch wirering [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 90 foot run to wire from my house to a sleep shack. If I run 2 12/2 wires this distance will it loose power. Also can I use a grounding stake by the sleep shack or should I just stay with the main? Thanks

Front Porch needs boards replaced [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My front porch needs some boards replaced. The previous owner did a quickie repair job on some rotted wood. We have 2 pillars and on the outside front corner they sawed the decking at the pillar base so now we need to hire someone to jack up the roof and replace the boards underneath. ...

Hampton Bay Porch Light [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay light that has curved glass and I need to know where I can purchase the glass.

Porch eroding away [ 1 Answers ]

My home is about 10 years old and the front porch is on a slope. Currently, there is no retaining wall (which I plan to add). Due to erosion over the past few years, the porch has begun to sink, pulling the molding away about 1/4 of an inch away from the brick above the door. You can see under...

Repair under front porch [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a five year old house that has a concrete front porch. The porch is only eight inches in height above the lead up sidewalk/walkway from the driveway (hope that makes sense) The builder who built the home did not put any concrete steps up to the porch Because of the only 8 inch...

View more questions Search