Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Faith based initiatives
    So now that Obama has proposed a massive expansion of the Bush Faith Based initiatives do you have a new appreciation of them or is it still somehow a "seperation of Church and State " issue ?

God-o-Meter - A scientific measure of God-talk in the elections

Not only is Obama showing how faith would shape policy in his administration, he's being so bold as to criticize Bush's faith-based program for not going far enough in opening the federal social services spigot to churches and other faith-based groups. In effect, he's out-Bushing George W. Bush in one of the President's specialty areas--connecting faith and public policy.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 09:47 AM
    America's society is in upheaval because of the failure of Christianity colliding with modernity... the need is great for help everywhere.

Secular humanism was declared to be a religion by out courts. Perhaps, we will see the opening of Sec Hum/Atheist Help Centers to Counter Act Addiction! :D

BWAH HA HA

Let the government support atheists organizations like they have religious organizations through tax breaks and these initiatives. Let the money roll in! :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Well you know my position on that . Churches should not get a tax break at all. It undermines them by that small connection to the government .
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2008, 10:21 AM
    From the comments section of that site:
    BeliefNet favors no candidate. But as a spiritual/faith-based website whose mission is to help believers walk a "spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength, and happiness", it is only natural for it to tout the faith-based activties of the presidential candidates.

If the Republican Party had not nominated an angry old man who reportedly curses even his wife, divorced his loyal first wife and married the pretty millionaire he was having an adulterous affair with, called leading evangelical leaders "agents of intollerance", threw 2 spiritual leaders (Hagee and Parsley) under the double-talk-express, and does nothing to promote faith-based initiatives, perhaps Evangelicals like us who supported George Bush would not have taken interest in Barack Obama. Now, there's no turning back.

Besides, this website says "The God-o-Meter scientifically measures factors such as rate of God-talk ....". And Obama seems to be leading on that. John McCain just doesn't even know how to pretend to talk about faith - it's just not his thing. It's one of the reasons he lost the GOP nomination to Bush in 2000. This year, the GOP was simply about who they felt had the slimmest chance of winning.
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2008, 10:23 AM
    This year, the GOP was simply about who they felt had the slimmest chance of winning.
    This is pretty much a true statement .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A pic of Faith [ 3 Answers ]

Here guys and gals Some of you wanted to see me. Here I am. I know a few people out there don't like me so they can really pick on my flaws ;)

Painting Cabinets - Oil based or Water based? [ 1 Answers ]

Going to be painting my oak kitchen cabinets white. I heard that oil based paint would be best, but don't want to deal with the extra mess. Is there anything wrong with using a good acrylic enamel?

Dying faith [ 47 Answers ]

I used to be such a good christian... I prayed all the time, whenever I wasn't doing anything. I talked to God about everything that went on in my life. I avoided any situations where I would be tempted to sin. Then, everything just... stopped. I stopped caring if God listened to me... I stopped...

Faith [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have any advice on having faith? Faith to make it through a rough time? Faith that all will be well in the end? A scripture? Kind words? Anything? How do you cope? Please.

Bad faith [ 7 Answers ]

How do you handle a contract where you are a independent contracter for 3 years in which the people in the contract are supposed to have you on there insurance for those three years. And I paid a surcharge every day for those three years for the insurance then after a accident I found out I was...

View more questions Search