Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mstaples Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Chewing and Digging
    Hi there. I have a 1 year old puggle that gets up between 4-5 in the morning. Since I don't get up until 7ish, I let him out to go to the bathroom, then I bring him back in the house to play. This morning, he chewed through the lining of our huge bean bag. He has chewed on our coffee table, the dining room table and all our chairs. He has a TON of chew toys made for strong chewers- the black kongs, the large nyla bones, etc. I don't know how to stop this behavior so that I can trust him alone.

This dog also has a fetish for digging. He's not trying to escape out of our yard (THANK GOD) since none of the holes are near the fences or gates. But he has dug up and chewed a lot of the tubing for our drip system (which is like a sprinkler system).

Any ideas?
    AlwaysWriting Posts: 131, Reputation: 6

Jun 30, 2008, 08:01 AM
    He's just being a puppy, and especially with the mixture of a beagle in him, he's going to be a notorious chewer. Trying freezing some of his chew toys, as teething can be painful and he's likely trying to free himself of the pain. Also, invest in a solution called Bitter Apple, which won't harm your furniture or things, and will deter him from chewing. You can find this at any local pet shop.
    angel-4460 Posts: 30, Reputation: -2

Jun 30, 2008, 07:52 PM
    He probably could be bored though... you can try walking him, and brushing him and all that "puppy care" stuff
    xaiegen Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Tire him out before bed, feed him around 7 or 8 and limit his water supply to minimum. My chihuahua, 13 months old, plays the same trick at my house, but not at my boyfriend's, same with the chi before him. So it could be the way you're treating your puppy to make him awake so early. My petsmart trainer said, "i don't let him rule my schedule, he works with mine. i set down a pad, if he doesn't use it, he'll have to smell it for 3 hours until i awake."

Bitter apple works great, I use it and it's helped transition my puppy into proper adulthood. Some dogs don't get annoyed with certain smells, so spray on your hand before buying to see which brand/scent makes your dog crinkle his nose.

I can't help with the digging, not much experience there. Sorry!

Good luck!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2008, 09:47 PM
    You could crate train him. After he becomes comfortable eating and sleeping in his crate, you can put him there when you are not around to supervise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chewing,Scratching, digging till he bleads? [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old St. Bernard and he is constantly biting himself, scratching himself, and digging at his skin. I know he does not have fleas. I can not get him to stop this. He bites scratches digs until he wears the to layer of skin off and it is bloody. Not like gushing blood but like a rug...

Digging Dog [ 6 Answers ]

How do you repair a hole dug in the backyard by your dog?

Digging up a buried car! [ 2 Answers ]

On June 15th 2007 in Tulsa OK, they will unearth a time capsule with a then brand new 1957 Plymouth Belvedere filled with all kinds of things from 50 years ago. You can read about the centennial at BuriedCar.com Very interesting news for anyone who may remember that day or have been to the...

My dog won't stop digging! [ 24 Answers ]

Ruby and Labman, I have a dog, Kimmie, she is half lab and half either rott or dobie. Well, anyway, we cannot get her to stop digging up the back yard. She seems like she knows she is doing wrong because she looks up at the house before proceeding to dig. If she sees one of us she just mosies...

Skunks Digging [ 1 Answers ]

I have a major problem with large skunks digging many holes in my yard at night and sometimes even during the day. Does anyone know any non-chemical ways to eliminate grubs? I have trapped many of them but some won't go in traps. What are good foods to use as bait?

View more questions Search