Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tabithah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 10:22 AM
    What county do I fill for a divorce
    I have just a simple question. If I was filing for a divorce, what county would I need to file in. Does it have to be the county I live in or can I file in another county. Thanks tabithah
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Welcome to AMHD. You didn't mention in which state, but most likely you will file in the county of your spouse because it is a suit against him and he is entitled to personal notice under the constitution.
    scamprn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tabithah
    I have just a simple question. If I was filing for a divorce, what county would i need to file in. Does it have to be the county i live in or can i file in another county. thanks tabithah
    It is usually required that you file in the county where you were married. If you and your husband have both moved to another county and are in agreement, you may file in that county.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 04:14 PM
    There are a lot of rules in various states, from how long you have lived in that state, the location where you and your partner last lived as man and wife, and many other factors all have a bearing on this
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tabithah
    I have just a simple question. If I was filing for a divorce, what county would i need to file in. Does it have to be the county i live in or can i file in another county. thanks tabithah

Varies greatly from State to State -

What State?

You cannot file in a County where neither one of you has established residency.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

County to county probation transfer [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend and her children live in another county. I am on felony probation in the state of Florida with a "drug package". I work from home in a rural area as a freelance graphic designer and web developer and there isn't really a lot of work in this area for that. Currently I rely on contacts...

Uncontested divorce filing fee for Shelby county TN [ 1 Answers ]

What is the filing fee for an uncontested divorce in Shelby county TN

I want to fill for a non contested divorce on my own what should I do [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married for 7 years now. Wev'e only lived together for the 1st month and have never live together since. We have no kids no property or any dept together, nothing. We speak sometimes to one another and we both bring up the subject of divorce and we agree to meet complete...

Probation troubles from state to state and county to county [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend was on probation in IL, he is a truck driver doing local runs in KY and sometimes needing to run from MO to KY. Due to him working so much in KY we decided to move here. Well his probation officer told him to find a place to live. We had both lived in KY before and we didn't like the...

View more questions Search