Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Evilicious Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 01:44 AM
    Debt problems for Ontario, Canada.
    I need some advice on how to deal with this. I owe a university 6000 and they have sent it to collections, I owe dell 4,000 for two computers, 600 for a credit card, and my bank account is down by 900. I have been outside of Ontario, Canada since August, 2007. I have had some unexpected emergencies and I haven't had a job since August,2007. I have been unable to continue making payments for 7 months. I didn't receive an collections letters or notices since I don't have a mailing address in Canada right now. But by now they all have probably gone to collections. I do want to pay all my debts but am unsure how to proceed. I would like to return to Canada so that I can get a job and pay off my debts, will I have any problems entering the country? What penalties am I looking at, like can they send me to jail? Or will they garnish my wages? Can someone please advice me on what I should do? Thank you.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2008, 02:12 PM
    You will NOT go to jail for not paying your debts. Well, maybe you will go to jail if you do not pay your taxes, but as for the debts you described, you won't go to jail.

I also see no reason why you would be denied entry into the country on just the facts you mentioned.

For them to garnish you wages, they must get a judgment against you in court, then they can garnish your wages (they might have already obtained said judgment).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy in Ontario Canada [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I live in ontario canada. I am just wondering.. If you are a full time employee. Can they garnish your wages or will they for that matter.. if you do plan on going bankrupt. And how long does it take to be able to take out a load through a bad/good credit place for ex. A car loan??

Ontario Canada-Debt after death [ 4 Answers ]

Do the laws in Ontario require the children to be accountable to repay their parent's debts after their parent's death? If so, what steps can one take to protect themselves from incurring large debts owed by their parents? Parents have no assets. Children provided and paid for their housing...

*URGENT* Default on Secured Debt - Ontario, Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I'm hoping you can provide some advice. Last week I received a call from a collection agency regarding an outstanding debt. The only info he had was the amount and the finance company. Based on this, I believe it is for a secured car loan I defaulted on in 2005. Note that I also...

Debt collection in ontario canada [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a time frame that a company has to come after you about a debt? I am being asked to pay immediately a debt from a college in 1999. Do I have to pay this, and if not, how do I go about it.?

Unknown debt problem -- Ontario, Canada [ 4 Answers ]

NOTE: Prior to reading this, please note that I reside in Ontario, Canada. I would appreciate inpur from anyone with knowledge about our system. Hello, Myself and my wife have always prided ourselves on living within our means, minimizing debt, and our (up to now) excellent credit rating....

View more questions Search