Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Toby_Lab Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Lab Puppy and Amount of Water to Provide?
    Hi - We have a tremendous 8 week old Chocolate Lab puppy. One question we have is that our breeder mentioned not to provide too much water for the puppy... specifically to serve approximately one cup of water at each meal (3 times per day). Is this enough? It seems like he should have more... but is that just me?

By way of health, he seems great. Eats well, eliminates regularly... although his bowel movements are never RIGHT after he eats. It always seems to take an hour, or more.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks. TOBY.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 06:55 PM
    I don't know the reason for the withholding of water. Dogs should have water available at all times. A pup would need more water then 3 cups a day. Any of my young animals had water down at all times.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Jun 24, 2008, 08:59 PM
    I agree that water should be available at all times. The only reason I have heard of withholding is for a really tough potty training situation.
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Jun 25, 2008, 12:46 AM
    When my mutt was a wee boy, I put his water up at around 7pm just until he was potty trained which only took a few days..
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 25, 2008, 03:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spinphoto
    When my mutt was a wee boy, I put his water up at around 7pm just until he was potty trained which only took a few days..
    I agree totally. We did the same for rex before he went to bed and before we went for a drive somewhere.

But as for the question I think you should always have cold water in his dish, especially in the summertime. Just a lil' tip I'd like to offer is to maybe even keep an ice cube in it so it stays cool longer.
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jul 9, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Just like humans, dogs need water whenever available.I wonder why she chooses to withhold? Especially now that the warmer months are here.

The only concerns I would have (as I do with my dogs) is if they drink too much too quick.And of course I keep water of reach at night.
    jDeanne26 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Yes, I agree with the others. Fresh water should be available at all times!! Do not limit the amount of intake, the puppy will drink as much water as his body needs to replenish itself and keep healthy.
    I too just got a puppy resently, an 8.5 week old golden retriever male. If you only reason for withholding water is to make housebreaking easier, then just promise to keep a good eye on the pup and you'll do just fine!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 01:02 PM
    In potty training, did you guys ever here of 'tough love'. I have never had a dog, absolutely never, that messed in the house because I was absolutely ruthless (to a certain degree because I knew) that you didn't do your dog any favours by NOT training properly.

As for water, well, her water stays down because she is quite happy sleeping when I sleep and upon waking, with me,she goes right out the door when I say "do you want to go out'; she has been this way since she was a year old, she is now l2. Our routine never varies house to house. I am not strict with her, she is a happy pup and always has been. That is what good training and good routine does for a pet. I might add, this is a BIG dog, she is absolutely lovely in every way but slowing down now a bit.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 09:31 AM
    This is just a shot in the dark, but is it possible you misunderstood her? Could it be that she was saying to put a cup of water in each meal? Many puppies start eating a mush of puppy food and water...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My ex doesn't want to provide... [ 2 Answers ]

My "ex" has been "starting a business" for about 4 years now. As you can imagine- he has not been consistent paying child support during this time. I'm wondering how to prove his income when I finally take him to court ( I have every reason to believe he is making some sort of money, he travels a...

How much amount of water is there on earth [ 2 Answers ]

How much amount of water is there on earth in litres and how much is fresh water.In fact how much amount is available per person on earth.

Can anyone Provide an example of [ 3 Answers ]

An activity the Department of Homeland Security has engaged in that you believe supports it mission and one you do not.:confused:

Amount Of Water On Earth [ 4 Answers ]

Dear; Can Someone Please Tell Me What is The Total Amount Of Water On Earth And Its Proportion To The Dry Land Or Space. Thanks.

Amount to feed lab puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lab puppy who is 9 weeks old. I told the vet I was feeding her about 3/4 C of Solid Gold large dog puppy food 3 times a day, about what is recommended on the bag. He told me that the bag instructions always suggest more than the puppy may need. I can still feel her ribs so I know she...

View more questions Search