Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhb123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Does veneer make furniture antique?
    If I have a bed that has veneer on it, does that mean it is an antique? I was told that they used veneer back before plywood was made and that the bed I have is really old and I just wanted to find out if it is an antique or not. Thanks!
    Benjimeister Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Jun 23, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Veneer doesn't mean its old... not that it couldn't be, but has more to do with the quality of the bed.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 23, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Only time makes any furniture antique. Antique furniture was made of 100% real wood.
    Veneer just covers cheap wood like chip- or particleboard to give it a real wood appearance.

Modern plywood, as an alternative to natural wood, was invented in the 19th century, but by the end of the 1940s there was not enough lumber around to manufacture plywood affordably. Particleboard was intended to be a replacement.

So without seeing it I can only estimate that your bed is not really antique...

;)
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Well if you want to be really technical the definition of Antique is any piece of furniture over 50 years old... which in general means it would be hardwood as cheaper plywood & presswood furniture is a more modern invention.

So I guess if your item is some kind of pressedwood boards covered in a wood veneer that's over 50 years old it can be called an antique
    mhb123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    Only time makes any furniture antique. Antique furniture was made of 100% real wood.
    Veneer just covers cheap wood like chip- or particleboard to give it a real wood appearance.

Modern plywood, as an alternative to natural wood, was invented in the 19th century, but by the end of the 1940s there was not enough lumber around to manufacture plywood affordably. Particleboard was intended to be a replacement.

So without seeing it I can only estimate that your bed is not really antique ...

;)

Well from what I can tell it has real wood underneath the veneer. When I bought the bed the veneer was coming off and I was going to rip it off and paint the wood underneath but I was told not to do that cause it was an antique and I just wondered. Could I take pictures of it and post on here?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 28, 2008, 07:53 PM
    No, veneer makes furniture cheap and new looking. Veneer is just a thin piece of wood put on top of other wood, usually cheap wood like plywood or particle board. It gives the look of real wood while only using a thin layer of real wood.

Veneer furniture is usually very cheap to buy because it isn't 100% of the wood used. If you buy an oak veneer table, only a thin layer on top is actually oak, whereas a real oak table would be all oak. The benefits of veneer, cheap, the downfall, once it gets wrecked there's nothing you can do about it, you can't sand and refinish because the veneer is very thin.

It may be an antique, but the fact that it's veneer will lower the value.

Hope this helps. :)
    jammo50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 06:48 PM
    In the US an antique has to be 100 years old. Today, yes, veneer is used to mask cheap materials but long ago it was used over real wood to provide a thin layer of exotic or very expensive wood. Some antiques are covered in bird's eye maple veneers or crotch mahogany that was flipped over and matched to make beautiful patterns. Also original plywood was invented in the 1850's and was expensive. Its purpose was to provide strength. Craftsmen also used veneers of many woods cut into small pieces and assembled like puzzle pieces to form patterns called marquetry and inlay to beautify furniture. You can search the internet for examples and appreciate the variety and skill that resulted in museum quality antiques. Too bad it's not the case today.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 11:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammo50 View Post
    In the US an antique has to be 100 years old. Today, yes, veneer is used to mask cheap materials but long ago it was used over real wood to provide a thin layer of exotic or very expensive wood. Some antiques are covered in bird's eye maple veneers or crotch mahogany that was flipped over and matched to make beautiful patterns. Also original plywood was invented in the 1850's and was expensive. Its purpose was to provide strength. Craftsmen also used veneers of many woods cut into small pieces and assembled like puzzle pieces to form patterns called marquetry and inlay to beautify furniture. You can search the internet for examples and appreciate the variety and skill that resulted in museum quality antiques. Too bad it's not the case today.
    Great info, sadly this thread is from Jun 2008 and the OP never came back.

It's not a good idea to post on old threads, it bumps them to the top of the list and the newer questions get pushed down.

Please check the dates before posting. Welcome to the site. :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2009, 03:18 AM
    Veneer of various thicknesses has been in use for hundreds of years in order to put a more quality look over a lesser quality look of wood. It doesn't mean that the item is of a lesser quality or possible monetary value. People have known for centuries how best to utilize the wood that they have to use.

Thread is now very old and original poster hasn't returned.

Thread has been sufficiently answered.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I make my old furniture look like an antique by only using paint? [ 4 Answers ]

I have old furniture, and I want to make them look nice and antique like by painting them, I just don't know how to paint them or what colors to use! Do you know?:o

How do I make my furniture look old? [ 4 Answers ]

How do I make my furniture look old?

How to make my furniture look old. [ 28 Answers ]

I've just painted some furniture that I had made of pine like a set of coffee and end tables, a jelly cabinet and a bench. I put two coats of paint on and I'm thinking I should have just put one and then sanded. The paint is a water based enamel and I'm wondering what the best method is to use. ...

Removing veneer [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old bureau which has several areas where the veneer is peeling off and missing - can I remove it all as it is past fixing and if so how do I take it off and how should I treat the wood underneath thank you

Veneer [ 2 Answers ]

I have found an old trundle sewing machine. The veneer has been water damaged and is going to have to be replaced. I want to know specifically how to put veneer down, how to cut it so it fits exactly, how to glue it and anything else I need to know. pollyscrab

View more questions Search