Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cwilson2602 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 08:44 AM
    From weed bed to flower bed
    Currently I have a weed bed in the front yard. I would like to change it to a flower bed that does not require a lot of time and watering. I am not familiar with plants for Texas.The bed gets full sun all day long. What about mulch? This is another thing that confuses me. What are the benefits/downside of using mulch. Thanks!
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 23, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Your local garden center will carry plants that are grown in your area and you can start others from seed packets. Mulch mimics the leaves and decayed plant material that would accumulate on the forest floor. It cuts down on the amount of water that evaporates, keeps the soil temperature lower in summer so your plants don't wilt as fast, keeps hard rains from causing erosion and a natural mulch like bark mulch decays slowly adding organic nutrients to the soil. You could just spade a few holes, pop in some nice plants form the store and pile a good supply of mulch around them, smothering the weeds that are already there, or just cut them low with the lawn mower firstThen in the fall or early next year you could turn the old mulch under and have a nice garden bed there. If you start seeds start them in pots or make a cleared area for them, the mulch will keep your desired seeds from sprouting

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weed Trimmer(weed eater) [ 3 Answers ]

I need step by step help on re-installing a (recoil) starter rope on a weed eater. If by chance you have diagram of how to put it on , I sure would appreciate it , any info will be appreciated ty denise

Name of flower [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, :) I was hoping that someone here could help me identify a specific flower. I have searched everywhere that I can think of but have had next to no luck. The only thing I have come up with, while searching random descriptions of the flower, is this link, Baby Brain Flower on...

Flower boxes [ 3 Answers ]

How do I attached 8' long wooden flower boxes to a wrought iron railing?

Stock flower [ 1 Answers ]

What is the flower stock?

Moles in my flower bed [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone have a surefire way to get rid of moles? I know about the spikes and repellants. I want to elimanate them like Bill Murray in "Caddy Shack", but would prefer to not use anything explosive. (Just kidding). Would appreciate any tried and true remedies. Thanks. Dave.

View more questions Search