Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    godivapup Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2006, 08:33 AM
    Bringing a new puppy home
    I bought an AKC chocolate lab last night brought her home tried to get her to go to the bathroom and she never did put her in the crate she sleep all night when I got up to go to work I took her outside and she still hasn't gone is this normal?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2006, 09:19 AM
    It is very unlikely for a young puppy. A few dogs by the time they are 6 months or older will hold it, trying to make it until they have a chance to use their regular place. Some dogs develop very strong ideas on the proper place. Most prefer grass. Try her on a few different different surfaces, grass, pavement, pea gravel. Some dogs also will not go if on a leash if they are not used to it. If you don't have a fenced area, you could try leaving her tethered. Left alone for a few minutes, she may go. A few minutes shouldn't be long enough to chew off her leash or a rope. If she does anything for you, be sure and praise her. A strange new home can also throw off a dog. Walking her would be a good idea too. Exercise stimulates the body, and suddenly she may not be able to hold it any longer. Again, praise her. No reason to panic. Certainly don't medicate her without checking with a vet. How old is she? If she has lived in a kennel until past 12-16 weeks, she may have trouble adapting to living in a house.

I never had much of a problem with that. The Shepherd I had, did try to hold bowel movements until she was home and could use the garden. I have friends that said one of their dogs held everything for 3 days on a trip until he made it home.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2006, 09:26 AM
    Hi, godivapup,
    Yes, this is normal. The puppy is in a new place, new home, new surroundings with new people. It will take awhile for her to "get used" to things, and not be afraid or apprehensive.
    Keep taking her out, walking her, and before you know it, she will go.
    Congratulations on your new puppy! I do wish you and she the best.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2006, 07:02 PM
    I have had 14 young puppies since 1991, and none of them made it through the first night without having to go out. It isn't normal for any dog not to relieve itself several times a day. As I said, occasionally an older dog may hold out for its regular place or privacy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New puppy [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We just adopted a 5 week old puppy. The mother is a Bernese Mountain Dog, the father a Black Lab. We’ve had her for 4 days now and she’s doing fairly well with being house trained and spending time in a crate. My question is how best to handle full time jobs and a puppy. I realize that it’s...

Bringing customers to my Hair Salon [ 2 Answers ]

My hair salon has been opened for a year. I NEED HELP!!!!!!! BRING IN NEW CUSTOMERS. I am also having a problem attracting new stylists; most of the stylists i have had have been very young and not dependable. I need help fast, like yesterday. I need cheap ways to advertise. I've handed out...

Law regarding bringing kids from India [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! This question is regarding my brother. About 15 days ago my brother and his family went to India for vacation. My brother and his wife have Green Card and their children aged 7 and 2 are US citizens. 5 days ago, While visiting his in-law's house, my brother and his wife had an argument. After...

Leaving puppy home alone problem! [ 2 Answers ]

Well, so far my puppy has had no more accidents in the house, and sleeps in a crate at night now. When I say "Time for bed, go lay down, go to sleep" she automatically goes into her crate on her own and lays down and goes right to bed, and usually doesn't wake up to go outside until morning. She...

Leaving puppy at home alone [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new Chihuahua puppy who is only 5 1/2 weeks old. How do I leave him alone for a few hours while I am working or running errands? I have read to only leave a puppy alone for an hour or two at a time, but I have to be gone for longer periods sometimes. I take him to work with me right now...

View more questions Search