Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    silkcut1821 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Bootmgr is missing
    My Advent laptop was working fine then closed it's self down, Now when I turn on I get the message BOOTMGR IS MISSING press CTRL+ALT + DEL to start. I do this but nothing happens. Can anyone help??
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 22, 2008, 07:08 PM
    I assume you are running vista because bootmgr.exe is used to run vista from startup. "bootmgr" is short for boot manager, and without this, your computer simply doesn't know how to start vista from your hard drive.

To fix it is pretty straighforward.
    1. Go into your BIOS menu (usually press F2 or DEL when prompted when you turn on your pc)
    2. Make sure your cd/dvd drive is set to be your primary boot device. This way you can run your setup disk in the next step.
    3. Insert your Vista install disk and restart your system
    4. Press any key when prompted to begin running the dvd
    5. Wait for it to give you a list of choices. This may take a while as it often stays a blank screen for some time.
    6. Choose REPAIR, and the setup will auto detect your operating system. It will also fix your bootmgr.exe at this point. \
    7. If it does not fix it, you can go on to the next screen and choose STARTUP REPAIR.

All in all, it takes little over 5 minutes to fix (mostly waiting for the dvd to load)
    silkcut1821 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 02:30 AM
    Thank you I will try that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missing son [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about looking for a missing adult son?

I think something is missing [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the problem: An Archer shoots an arrow into a piece of wood. The arrow is traveling at 120 km/h when it strikes the wood. The arrow penetrates 3.8cm into the wood before stopping. What is the average acceleration (in m/s squared) into the wood? I am having trouble with this because...

Dog gone missing [ 1 Answers ]

Help,please help me find our missing dog,Jake,he wondered off, but he normally returns.. thankyou.

Missing w2 [ 3 Answers ]

One of the places I worked at has closed for good and I still haven't received my w2 from them, is there any place on net I can get a copy from?

View more questions Search