Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lshulma2 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 09:22 PM
    sister 2x4 sloped roof rafters with 2x6
    I'm trying to sister the 2x4 of my sloped roof with 2x6 as directed by my architect however I'm having trouble fitting them the full 142 inches. When I cut them the proper length I can't install them because the beam from the joined flat roof is in the way. Any suggestions
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 07:25 PM
    Show us a picture.

Jun 22, 2008, 06:06 PM
    I've attached a image of the wall

Thanks
    Attached Images

Jun 22, 2008, 06:11 PM
    This is the rear slope of my roof. I also tried to sister 2x6s to the front slope. It looks much the same as the rear roof in the picture. In the front however I think the rafters are sagging in the middle. Is there a way to sister the 2x4 rafters on the front slope the full length of the rafters with 2x6 despite the sag.

Jun 22, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Attached Images

Jun 23, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Sorry

I'm not familiar with all the terminology. Yes that is where I want to attach the sisters. It's the 2x8 at the top where the sloped roof rafters join to the flat roof that I can't seem to get the sistered 2x6 to attach to. In order to get the 2x6 past the 2x8 top plate I have to trim it.

thanks

Jun 23, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Cut a short piece of 2x6 about 12 to 16" long. Cut one end at the best guess angle of 2x4 rafter and the beam. Temporarily tack this up on the 2x4 against the beam. Place a short board, 3 to 4" wide up against the 2x8 beam, mark a line on the 2x6. Remove and cut. This will be the angle to cut the top end of the 2x4 rafters. Do the same thing to find the bottom angle. Measure and cut 2x6 rafters to length. Put in bay by putting one end in one corner at the bottom and in the opposite corner at the top.
    Attached Images

Jun 23, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Thanks for your help

Your advise sounds like what I've tried... maybe I just need to swing the hammer a little harder.

Jun 23, 2008, 11:15 AM
    The sistered joist do not have to that tight. You will be marrying the 2x4 and 2x6 to gether with plenty of nails. That will increase the rigidity of the 2x4 even if the 2x6 does not contact the 2x8 beam. It just looks better to have a tight fit. However, if its too tight cut a little off. Getting an acurate measurement is the difficult part. Cut those short pieces for the top and bottom angles, then cut them off to 10". Tack them in place then measure between them, add 20 " and you should have an accurate measurement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Damaged roof rafters [ 4 Answers ]

I am about to do some repairs to my roof rafters. A few of which have water damage to the ends. My question is:- a) When sistering a rafter, should I cut out the damaged part of the old rafter to stop the damage travelling anf further? b) should I clamp both sides of the old rafter or is...

Cutting Roof Rafters [ 14 Answers ]

I want to know how long my rafters should be if my overall span is 141" (11' 9") The pitch I would like to use on the roof is a 6 / 12 pitch Also how do I determine the birds mouth and plumb cuts? I would also like to use a 8 inch overhang. Thanks in advance!

Sister a roof rafter [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 2x6x18' CRACKED roof rafter that I want to sister. Can it be done in sections? I need to go from ridge to top plate. Impossible to get an 18' piece into my attic.

Sistering roof rafters [ 5 Answers ]

I own a chicago style brick bungalow. I am going to put a bonus room in 1/2 of the attic. I am going to put down 1/2 " osb for a subfloor over 1 x 6 floor joists. i am going to build 2 knee walls down the length of the room and hang 3/8 inch dry wall on 2x 6 roof rafters 16" on center. Do I...

Uneven roof rafters [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing part of our attic to be a 4th bedroom. I have found that the size of roof rafters vary (2x6, 2x6.5 and 2x7). How do I even these up so I can install a plasterboard ceiling?

View more questions Search