Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 20, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Garage opener remote control
    I have 2 Genie garage door opener remotes that aren't working. I double checked and reset the setting switches to match the unit and the opener that still does work (I have three).
    Replace the batteries, nothing. Popped the unit out and looked for a break in the circuit boards. Again nothing. Lights on units work and everything looks good.

I am thinking that the frequency may have "slipped"? Does anyone know how I tune one of these things? There appears to be a round device about 3/8" long with a screw in one end. Is that the tuner?

Thanks for the help.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 20, 2008, 01:43 PM
    With most Genie units, remove the light lens globe to expose the Learn Button on the motor head. The learn button is sometimes located on the back of the unit, or with Excelerator openers, it is under the light lens near the hinge of the lens globe. Always locate the floppy antenna wire first. The Learn Button can be found not far from this antenna.
    Attached Images

Jun 20, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Harold, I've got a model that is nearly 15 years old, before the intellicode. It has a number of 3 position (12) switches that must match the settings of the switches in the remote.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 02:08 PM
    I had this problem with my opener, not a genie though, mine was a craftsman.

I ended up needing some repair to the receiver, a couple of transistors, cost me $25 to have a garage door service company repair it.

I was about to replace it, when the service tech suggested that I bring the circuit board in for him to look at.

Thank goodness they were honest, and did the simple repair, they could have totally sold me a new unit instead.

Jun 20, 2008, 02:17 PM
    My receiver seems to be OK, because I have no problem with one of my transmitters. I guess I'll buy another transmitter, giving me 4, and see if it works.

I just thought I might be able to fix one of the ones I already have.

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Learn button for garage door opener remote. [ 5 Answers ]

I am a female and don't know too much about this subject, but here goes... I just purchased a Genie Model ACSGT Type 1 door opener remote through Ebay. The instructions that came with this "used but good condition" device from the owner stated: 'Press Learn button on opener - red light will...

Remote garage door opener (reprogram) [ 3 Answers ]

Help! Can't find owners manual to Craftsman 1/2 remote garage door opener. I believe I accidentally erased codes from garage ceiling unit. There is a learn button, I know how to change the code on the outside keypad, but how do I reprogram the unit on the ceiling of the garage to accept the new...

Remote garage door opener [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a home with a Craftsman remote garage door opener that is outside the garage. Model # 139.53876 with push bottons 1-0 (no # and no *). I know the old four code number but need to know how to change the code with a new code number.

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

2004 Honda Accord garage door remote control [ 1 Answers ]

How do you program the 2004 Honda Accord garage door remote control?

View more questions Search