Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IntoExile Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Bad teeth-Only 14 and never been to a dentist
    I'm only 14 years old and have never been to a dentist since I was born. My bottom teeth have receded badly and one of my top left teeth sometimes bleeds a little when brushing. I'm not really sure what to do and fairly reluctant to go to a dentist mainly because of the problem that of the two that my mum has been to, they've only made things worse. There is also the fact that I don't want to be told that my teeth need to be pulled.

If I stop eating sugary foods and brush and floss my teeth for longer and more times a day could they improve on their own?

Any help would be great, thanks.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 12:17 PM
    You really should see a dentist.

You are very young, to have so many problems already with your teeth.

While good brushing and flossing, and may I add rinsing with Listerine or Crest Pro Health twice a day, will all be good for you, the problems you have now will not be corrected with those things alone.

The bacterial build up, far below the gum line, is what will cause you to loose your teeth.

Only a dental hygienist or dentist can get to those pockets and clear them out.

Not what you wanted to hear, but, it is the truth.
    IntoExile Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Do you happen to know whether this is fully treatable or will I need to have my teeth removed?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 12:55 PM
    It will depend on how much bone loss you already have, sometimes it can be corrected, sometimes there has been too much damage.

This is the reason I suggest you get checked out as soon as possible, everyday that passes, more damage is being done.

Best of luck to you!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Well of course you should have been to the dentist once a year at least.
    I have a daughter in law who because of lack of dental care had to loose all of her teeth by 17, it was so serioius her health was at risk for not taking proper care of her teeth.

It can also be a gum problem.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 02:02 PM
    This is why you should go to the dentist:
    Abscess
    A pus-filled cavity resulting from inflammation and usually caused by bacterial infection.

I have had an abscess all the way in the back of my mouth it was so big I could not open my mouth to eat. It was so bad even with antibiotics it took a month for it to go down and they still had to pull the tooth luckily for me it was a wisdom tooth. It all could have been avoided if I would have just gone to the dentist for routine stuff. Trust me it is nasty I am making myself sick right now thinking about it.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 02:09 PM
    I agree with the other posters. You definitely need to see a dentist.

If you have an abscess that is not treated it can cause many health problems including blindness and death.

Your first visit to the dentist will be an examination. He/she will take x-rays and then tell you what needs to be done. They will take care of the most problematic teeth first. Yes, you may have to have a tooth or 2 removed but there is no reason, at 14, that you will loose all your teeth. Now, if you wait any longer then the number of teeth to be lost will increase.

Ask your friends who they see and what they think of them.

In the meanwhile, brush (especially at the gumline), floss the best that you can and rinse with some warm salt water if you get a lot of bleeding but have your mum call a dentist as soon as possible.

P.S. Getting rid of the infection, cavities and bacteria in your mouth will help your breath smell better too!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Bad Dentist [ 3 Answers ]

I took my son to the Dentist 2 years ago. The dentist did some horrible things to my son. He did a root canal, that didn't needed to be done caused his tooth to split and half of it to fall out. He put my son through hell. I told the dentist that we wouldn't be back. The dentist charged us for...

Really bad Dentist! [ 11 Answers ]

I took my 6 year old son to the dentist last month for a checkup. The Doctor has a policy of not letting parents in the room while he is working on the children. I didn't like it, but saw all the other children going in with no problem, so reluctantly agreed. 10 minutes. Later my son came out...

Bad Dentist [ 2 Answers ]

I need to no what can I do about a bad dentist gad crowns done and root canals about 3months ago and havying a lot of pain on the crown the dentist was terrible every time I went in I cryied he put me tru a lot of pain and what's so bad he is no longer there.

Lower denture teeth bite: gum line up or angle teeth forward? [ 8 Answers ]

:cool: Should the bite line of the teeth on the lower denture be forward of the centerline of the gum 5 mm? Would it be better to have the lower teeth in line with the gum?

Dentist or hygenist? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a strong desire to work in the dental field. At one time I was a dental assistant. Then I became a stay at home mom. Now with all the kids in school, I want to either go to work or school. Here's the problem. I'm 42 is it too late to become a hygenist? I worked for dentists and it...

View more questions Search