Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 11:11 AM
    So, which presidential candidate is ignorant about economics?
    "Barack Obama said Friday that presidential rival John McCain's proposal to allow offshore drilling "makes absolutely no sense at all" as he headed to Florida to put the Republican on the spot over the issue." see: My Way News - Obama criticizes McCain on offshore drilling
    No sense at all, huh? Morris has a different take: "John McCain has drawn first blood in the political debate following Barack Obama's victory in the primaries. His call yesterday for offshore oil drilling — and Bush's decision to press the issue in Congress — puts the Democrats in the position of advocating the wear-your-sweater policies that made Jimmy Carter unpopular." see: Newsmax.com - McCain Scores Big With Offshore Oil Drilling Proposal
    Barack needs to figure out that he's not tangling with the left wing any longer. Keep a close watch on this issue, one that all Americans are watching.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2008, 02:34 PM
    My guess is that if the liberals get their way with us not getting the oil then
    It is going to go up for grabs for Mexico or some other foreign country to have the right to do it. Why is it okay for others to do what the liberals do not allow us to do.

I have a *theory* that I feel if Gore can get a Nobel Prize for his global warming theory
    Then my *theory* should do much better! I think it is time to start my theory!
    Here goes
    Our earth is off it's axis and we have Tsunami's, flooding,. because all the oil is being pumped out one side of the earth and little is being pumped out the other to balance it out!

To me it makes more sense than carbon dioxide that plants need is causing the earth to warm while I sit here freezing on June 20!

BTW did you hear after all the fuss about Gore's home contributing to global warming as much as 20 average households. He spent all that money to make it more environmental friendly and now his carbon footprint is WAY worse.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jun 20, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Although I do agree with permitting more offshore drilling (which sides with McCain's view), Obama is correct in that we would be years away from any benefit. And the supply once we do finally start benefiting from our own oil would only give us usage for approximately a four year window. Check out the following link. The video dispels some of the current myths about possible offshore oil production and provides insight on energy alternatives such as nuclear and coal, and the political direction needed to go forward.

msnbc.com Video Player
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Quote:
    "Our earth is off it's axis and we have Tsunami's, flooding,.....because all the oil is being pumped out one side of the earth and little is being pumped out the other to balance it out!"

I agree and, I think that all the illegals running from south to north in huge mass played a large part in the initial shift.

But back to the original question, which presidential candidate is ignorant about economics?

They are all ignorant about economics, all that is except for Ron Paul. He told you the real deal but since 99% of Americans are even more ignorant about the economy, by design, very few were listening. Now we have more lies and empty promises that will not solve anything for another... well... till the big, final collapse.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 20, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Come on. The current oil crises is exactly like the one that was Alaskan pipeline was supposed to prevent from recurring ! If you do things the same way, you are insane to expect a different result. If oil demand falls, better believe production will too, just to maintain price stability.

The only answer is to look elsewhere for energy production. Currently patents have been issued for the "EESU". The electrical energy storage unit would make dramatic changes in the lives of everyone on the planet, however it appears that the patents have been purchased so the technology will be developed by Lockheed for military purposes. Why not turn it loose and let the market develop it ?

The most economical electricity is produced at this time by hydo electric turbines. Requiring dams and rivers. Wind farms operate at a profit in many places, but we haven't started building the geo-thermal turbines on a large scale, and every home should have solar panels and a turbine.

As long as we stay as we are, the more the energy producers will own of us.

More oil production to lower the prices is a myth.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Haven't you heard, it cost more each year to let those hydo electric turbines go round?
    And yes, we all should have a solar panel and a wind turbine in our our yards. I'll take my life savings and go get one now. I'll get two so I don't have to make two trips... you know, the price of gas makes it prohibitive.
    SkyGem Posts: 177, Reputation: 18

Jun 27, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    "Barack Obama said Friday that presidential rival John McCain's proposal to allow offshore drilling "makes absolutely no sense at all" as he headed to Florida to put the Republican on the spot over the issue." see: My Way News - Obama criticizes McCain on offshore drilling
    No sense at all, huh? Morris has a different take: "John McCain has drawn first blood in the political debate following Barack Obama's victory in the primaries. His call yesterday for offshore oil drilling — and Bush's decision to press the issue in Congress — puts the Democrats in the position of advocating the wear-your-sweater policies that made Jimmy Carter unpopular." see: Newsmax.com - McCain Scores Big With Offshore Oil Drilling Proposal
    Barack needs to figure out that he's not tangling with the left wing any longer. Keep a close watch on this issue, one that all Americans are watching.
    And Americans are likewise watching this that is making Big News:

Power of Puma: Howard Dean Schemes To Shut Down Democratic Convention
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jun 30, 2008, 03:57 PM
    As to the original question: Now, I don't claim to be an economist, so this is purely opinion here, but it just seems to me that to remove more money from business and individuals at a time when the economy is shakey makes no sense at all. Washington produces nothing, and a Washington with more money will simply produce a greater quantity of nothing. When business has excess money it spends it on expansion and that means more people working which leads to larger tax revenues. When gov't removes excess money from business, it shrinks with resultant job losses and less tax revenues.
    What Washington needs to do is study national tax structures and develop one here that makes this country competitive in the world market. Then businesses will make things here instead of having the work done overseas. I get so tired of seeing "China" on everything I buY!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Both sides have no real idea or care, they both have their self serving intersest. There is the need for oil, for reactors, or solar, for wind, for all of it, but both sides only want a part and not all of it.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2008, 04:19 PM
    George, why don't the major oil companies just drill on the nearly 5o million acreas of Federal land that they have under lease instead of trying to put more land under there control?
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 07:10 AM
    How about this insight? "Obama Clueless on How His Tax Plan Will Work". See: Consumer Corner | American Bankruptcy Institute Journal | Find Articles at BNET
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 07:20 AM
    george, why don't the major oil companies just drill on the nearly 5o million acreas of Federal land that they have under lease instead of trying to put more land under there control?

Destin Dome off the coast of Florida's Pensacola has a known reserve of 2.6 trillion cubic feet of natural gas and is within easy access to a major gas pipeline between Texas and Tampa Fla... number 1 and 2 states in natural gas consumption to generate electricity; all of its gas comes from other states. Moratoriums (until 2011) and politics from both parties and real estate developers and environmentalists have prevented tapping into this find.

The Democrats have been bleating lately that Big Oil is not drilling on their available lease areas. In this case they would've loved to drill but have been prevented from doing so. The Federal Government in this case purchased back the lease from Chevron and other companies . Now get this... Chevron has instead taken the buy back money and invested it... in a natural gas project... in Angola.

The answer is that on all lease lands there is exploration where permitted . But in most if not all cases there are environmental restrictions from proceeding with the drilling .
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 09:35 AM
    From Larry Kudlow: "In effect, Obama's economics are bad and his social circle is very limited. This is one of the many reasons why a quarter of the Hillary Democrats are telling pollsters they'll likely move to John McCain in the general election."
    See: RealClearPolitics - Articles - Why Not Blame Obama?
    As Kudlow says, Obama wants to take 'capital' out of 'capitalism'. Ben Smith's Blog - Politico.com
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Kudlow rocks !

Free market capitalism is the best path to prosperity!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is the South (of the US) Ignorant? [ 67 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you are doing well. Please, let me explain the topic of this thread before I get attacked. As a person living in California, it seems as if many people (not all, of course) who are raised and live in the Southern states of the US are still ignorant when it comes to a variety of...

What if presidential candidate dies? [ 16 Answers ]

What happens if, after the convention, before the election, the presidential candidate dies? Who is the pres cand? Does that change if it is in Sept, a few days after the convention, as opposed to Nov 1st? Does it vary by party?

I do NOT want to get pregnant & I'm totally ignorant about pregnency and dates. [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I am 23 years old girl.Its been 5- 6 months I got into a relationship and in Jan we ended up making love.I am totally new to this and have no idea about sex or dates or anything at all.My boyfriend says he has some knowledge but I am not at all confident about his knowledge.By now we would...

Suffering Again.am I really this ignorant? [ 76 Answers ]

Ok... so I'm back. I have been on the boards browsing this whole time, but haven't really posted, but here I am again. Long story short... had a boyfriend... for about 9 months, he said he needed a break. We broke up and I thought I would die. I suffered and made myself and everyone around me...

Ignorant Anthropologists? Or Political Correctness? [ 15 Answers ]

I have great respect for the science of anthropology but recently I came across two representations which made me question both motives and the qualifications of those anthropologists who were involved. First, there was a documentary concerning the Taino Indians of the Caribbean. I began watching...

View more questions Search