Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Graceneedshelp Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 02:33 AM
    How to fade dyed black hair back to brown
    OK so I dyed my hair a few days ago with wash out dye - it said it would last 6 weeks but the thing is I tried to dye it dark brown because I was sick of my mousey brown colour but it turned out black!!
    Please help me I look mega goth (sorry to all you goths out there but it really dose not suit me) and it really doesn't match my pale skin. I have so far washed it about 4 times a day but it doesn't seem to be working - id rather not use any harsh chemicals as I want my hair to stay healthy - id like to fade it back without turning it red/orange in the process (again sorry to all you redheads out there) and id really like results QUICK!!

Thanks for all your help much appreciated:)
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Jun 19, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Your hair turned out darker than expected because it seems your hair must be porous. If you don't want to use bleach then the only thing you can do is use a deep cleansing shampoo to fade it out. Members on here have used head and shoulders and said it worked for them. Just be patient whilst using the shampoo. It will fade a lot of it out.

Good luck!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 07:47 AM
    I have heard that the brand Prell is really good for stripping out wash-in color, but haven't had the need to try it - I use permanent color. Good Luck!
    girlygirl1819 Posts: 67, Reputation: -1

Jun 19, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Hey you don't need to buy shampoo just use laundry detergant (tide) is what I used my hair is back brown but when I dyed it... I left it on too long and it was black and I used the tide when I washed my hair and it did the trick so I definatley think that is what you should do...

Jun 19, 2008, 02:51 PM
    I'm from Australia - I've never heard of prell before what is it? Could I get it here? Thanks everyone (:

Jun 20, 2008, 12:57 AM
    Oh and is it true that tomato dose the trick to?

Thanks girlygirl 1819 ill try laundry detergent do you think it matters if its not tide?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Prell is an old shampoo brand in the US that is green. I don't know if is available where you are, sorry. Tomatoes are acidic - that may be what does the trick. Have you consulted a hair stylist? They can do wonders in color correction.

Jun 21, 2008, 03:16 AM
    No I haven't yet I think I'm just going to let it fade out - but the thing is that I'm worried it will go red head because I can see bits of red in my hair thanks anyway
    madmad Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Redken cleansing cream.. it's a shampoo... works wonders... gota leave it on for 5-10 minutes when you wash it though if its for stripping hair colour!
    laurxx17 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 03:35 PM
    I had the same problem and my hair stylist told me to wash my hair with dish soap.
    I used it and my hair got a few shades lighter.
    Maybe that could work for you.
    dansaa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 04:09 AM

I'm in the same boat. I have very light brown hair, it's more of a gold brown color. I dyed it dark brown, or so the box said. And it came out a very muted brown. My hair was shiny and golden before and I would like to go back to that.

Did anyone have luck with the dish soap/detergent/clarifing shampoo methods?

How long does it take?
    lhinnie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2011, 03:38 PM
    I tried tide detergent I think its lighten my hair a bit but I try again a few process only time is important :)
    yoshikolynn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
    I'm having the same problem as we speak. I just dyed it last night and I've washed it four times already. I've been searching the web to try and fade this black hair quickly and so far I've found that baking soda and dishwashing soap should work. I tried them but my hair barely faded at all. I'm not giving up yet, I'm just going to keep doing it and I'm going to leave it in longer. Also, be sure to put a lot of conditioner in your hair afterwards, apparently this dries your hair to shreds. I'm planning on leaving it in a good 5-10 minutes after I've rinsed and repeated with shampoo and dishwashing soap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black hair, dyed brown, how can I dye it ash brown? [ 19 Answers ]

Hi I have naturally very dark brown hair, its pretty much black. I have been dying it black for the past two years. Today I bleached it and then dyed it "light ash brown". Obviously it didn't come out "ash" at all it more like a golden brown. My hair is actually still very healthy after...

How do I dye over bleached blonde hair back to dark brown and it not fade [ 11 Answers ]

About 3 weeks ago I decided I wanted blonde highlights. My wife used Loreal Color Rays bleach blonde kit. And put in a lot of streaks. My natural color hair is dark brown. Of course you can imagine how it turned out. The streaks turned out yellowy orange and looked horrible. I waited a week...

How to fade away black dyed hair that can not be bleached. [ 2 Answers ]

About last year, I have dyed my hair black, and did easy straight (a chemical that straightens hair) over it. But now I want to dye my hair brown. So I went to a hair dresser to bleach my hair, and once its blonde, dye it brown. So I went, and they told me that because I had done 'easy straight' my...

How can I lighten dyed black hair? Can I ever dye it light brown again? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I've read a couple of posts on this subject but I was wondering... I dyed my hair dark brown but it turned out blue-black. I rushed to the store and bought Color Oops! (it's supposed to reverse the dye and bring you back to your original hair color) and it lightened and I thought my...

Dyed Hair Black, Left with Brown Spots [ 3 Answers ]

All right, so I had dark blonde hair in the first place. Then I dyed it black with a permanent dye . Once I had finished dying it, and it had dried, I found that I now have brown areas left in my hair. I am going to dye it again to cover these spots, but when will it be all right to do so?...

View more questions Search