Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inchnhour Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Basement finishing .(lumpy creaky upstairs floor)
    I have recently began a basement remodeling project. Metal studs from cement floor to ceiling joists, greenboard on the walls. The ceiling has been furred down across the floor joists for a tongue and groove ceiling . I used 2x3s for furring as I needed to get down from the floor joists 1.50 inches to clear a couple of pipes. The 2x3s are 16 in on center and all shimmed for level. Now here is my problem . My floor upstairs seems very creaky now and lumps are appearing under the carpet in various places my guess is that nails are working there way up but unless I strip back the carpet I am unsure. What could be possibly going wrong here ? And more importantly how should I address the problem. Also I live in NY the home is a ranch and is 11 years old.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jun 19, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Was everything fine before you started the basement work? Perhaps the vibration from hammering the 2x3's has popped a few nails. Most carpenters today would use screws on a floor to avoid this problem. 11 years ago, they should have at least used flooring nails (with the ribs on them). Perhaps they just used regular nails.

I think you've got a few 'brute force' options
    1) hit the nail heads down as best you can through the carpet... without ruining the carpet. (Be careful!). Now that the basement hammering is finished, maybe you'll be lucky and not have the heads reappear.
    2) roll the carpet up, pull up nails you find and replace with screws. If that does not solve the squeaking problem then use more screws. This will be more work - you'll have to rent a kicker to reinstall the carpet etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floor drain in basement floods from washer and upstairs sink [ 3 Answers ]

Why does my upstairs sink and wahser machine flood the floor drain in the basement? Every time I use the washer machine or wash the dishes in the upstairs sink it flood the floor drain in the basement, and if I am washing clothes I have to stop the water from draining into the washer sink in the...

Water splashes out of basement floor drain after upstairs tub is drained [ 1 Answers ]

When the bathtub upstairs is drained we get water splashing out of the floor drain in the basement. It seems to be specific to the tub - not sure if it is because of the amount of water draining at once, or some other reason, but we don't have any problems with the toilets, dishwasher or washing...

Water splashes out of basement floor drain after upstairs tub is drained [ 2 Answers ]

When the bathtub upstairs is drained we get water splashing out of the floor drain in the basement. It seems to be specific to the tub - not sure if it is because of the amount of water draining at once, or some other reason, but we don't have any problems with the toilets, dishwasher or washing...

Finishing a basement [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Mid-Michigan and recently purchased my first home and was interested in building a room in my basement (10ft x 13ft). The house is about 4 years old and the basement is dry. I was wondering what would be an estimated price of materials to build a room (no closet, one small window at top...

Finishing a second floor [ 1 Answers ]

I want to finish my second floor in a fairly new home. Lets start slow and see how it goes. The room ~700 square feet is now vented to the outside through a vent on the Side of the house and a hole cut in the plywood sheeting leading to a dormer with an octagonal vent. Make sense? So how do...

View more questions Search