Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetSabby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Does a Father have a right to last name on Child Birth Certificate
    Does a father have a right to have his last name as his child's last name on the child's Birth Certificate in the State of Georgia?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Nope, mother names the child. If you are married, and mother not able to name because of health, you can name, but if not married, no rights what so ever And if they are not married, if he is not listed on the Birth certificate, he has not rights to child until he goes to court and proves he is the father and requests a level of custody
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Here in the States it is strictly up to the mother of the child as to what last name goes on the birth certificate. I had this discussion the other day with the "birth certificate lady" who works in the hospital where I work. There are legal ramifications that are either easy to change the name later or virtually impossible to change.

When the child is born, the birth certificate lady will come talk to you and can answer all of your questions.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 18, 2008, 05:14 PM
    You failed to mention the most important data, so...

Generally that is standard when :

1 - the father is married to the mother of the child.
    2 - the father accepts the child as his own.

If you are not married to the mother, it is normally up to the mother to decide on the family name of the child, and than her decision often depends on the secondary arrangements made, like child support arrangements.
    You can make such arrangements on a friendly basis, and follow that up - to make it official - by a court procedure.

I do not know if Georgia is an exception to that, though...

Success !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a soon to be father but my ex won't let me sign th birth certificate? [ 8 Answers ]

Im 19 and my ex is 16 her parents don't want the baby to have my last name and she don't eather she said if my last name gets put on there then she won't but if not she will I don't know what to do I want to sighn the certificate and it have my last name please someone help me asap pleas.

Adding father name to child birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add my son's father name to his birth certificate. And I also want to add on father's last name to my son. When already had an DNA test done and it was determine that he was the father. How do I go about doing this?

Father Not on Birth certificate pros / cons [ 4 Answers ]

Is it better to have the father not sign the BC. Im thinking that we are not married, and if I want to travel internationally I would have to get his letter to leave the country. The same would go for him. This could be a pain because he lives 3000 miles away. Also What about getting a passport,...

Can my husband adopt my son if the father is not on the birth certificate? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my five year old son. Does the father have to agree if he's not on the birth certificate and hasn't supported his son after the break up? He only saw his son twice in a year and seven days.

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search