Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    procomps Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Vista's Internet Explorer repeatedly stops working
    I am running an HP desktop PC which uses Windows Vista Home Premium (w/o SP1) on cable internet. Whenever I use Internet Explorer I can usually connect OK but within a minute or so, Windows says I am not connected to the internet because Internet Explorer stopped working. If I run the diagnostics provided, it says there is nothing wrong with my connection. So I go to Networking and Sharing and check the status of my ethernet adapter. Then I get the suggestion to try and reset the adapter, the Repairing progress bar finishes and says the problem has been resolved. I close everything down to the Desktop and try to connect to the internet using Internet Explorer again and the same cycle repeats itself. The details of the error message says the Event is APPCRASH in iexplore.exe.

The strange thing is that even with the internet supposedly disconnected, I can still run Windows Update and Norton LiveUpdate just fine as long as I don't go through Internet Explorer.

Should I install Vista's SP1, reinstall Internet Explorer, or try something else?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Try this first

If you have Internet Explorer 7, you can repair damaged files or missing registration information in Internet Explorer 7. To do this, follow these steps:1. Start Internet Explorer 7.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    3. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
    4. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset to confirm.

Probably an addon that is currently installed to run with IE as you apparently do not have problems with connecting to net through other programs

This kind of issue can be caused by several factors, I suggest we first start Internet Explorer 7 in "No Add-ons" mode and check the result, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

If the problem does not occur after you use this method, use Manage Add-ons to determine which add-ons are causing the problem. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Tools on the Internet Explorer toolbar, point to Manage Add-ons, and then click Enable or Disable Add-ons.

2. Click the name of the add-on at the top of the Enabled list, and then click Disable in the Settings area.

3. Click OK, and then test Internet Explorer.

4. If the problem still occurs, open Manage Add-ons, enable the add-on that you disabled in step 2, and then repeat steps 1 to 3 for the next add-on in the Enabled list.

5. Repeat steps 1 to 3 until the problem is resolved or until all the add-ons have been tested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my internet explorer back, it is not working [ 2 Answers ]

I have this problem, it is my internet explorer that doesn't work I have got Mozilla now and using it yet I miss the internet explorer more I have got favorites the thing I don't know how to do in Mozilla beside I don't like Mozilla. If any one have any idea how I recover the Explorer I will be...

AOL Internet Explorer [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get rid of AOL Internet Explorer?

Internet explorer not working [ 1 Answers ]

My Internet explorer not work What should I do to make it working again? Thanks:(

View more questions Search