Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elena someillan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Second Mortgage not paid in sale of property
    What happens when a property is sold for less than the amount owed and there is a second mortgage?

The spouse's name was not on the 1st loan but the name was on the deed.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2008, 03:04 PM
    I don't see how the sale can close, unless all the liens and mortgages are paid?

The title cannot be transferred, while there is a lien in place against the property.
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 18, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Depending on the type of sale. If it's a repossession, or sale back to the first mortgage holder, the 2nd mortgage holder loses their position. If it's a lien sale, the first mortgage is satisfied first, 2nd mortgage 2nd, etc. I concur with "prog" I don't see how the sale can proceed with the mortgages being satisfied. The buyer may assume the 2nd, but I don't think escrow will close, unless the 2nd mortgage holder settles for a partial payment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Yes, it can not sale at a standard sale without it being paid, But in a other sale, they will normally come after the lender for payment if not fully paid.

A foreclosure or a bankruptcy or a tax lien sale is the only way I see it being sold without the second lien being sold

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal entry for purchase and sale of property for sale [ 5 Answers ]

I purchase an apartment for $ 1.7m and paid first instalmment of 250k ,Before the second installment I sell the apartment at the value of 1.9m .Please tell me how to record the journal entry .

Unknown tax sale of my property [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: I own a house that was sold at a sheriff's sale because of unpaid taxes. I knew nothing at all about this until yesterday. The 3 year redemption period ended 2 months ago. I never received a bill or any kind of notice from the tax assessor or anyone else. My purchase of the property was...

Tax on sale of property [ 2 Answers ]

I Have Property I Am Selling That Was Transferred Into My Name Before My Parents Died. How Do I Found Out What Kind Of Tax I Have To Pay On The Sale Of The Property? I Am In Texas

Sale of property for $1 [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to sell property to an older sister for $1 to prevent a ex-wife from putting a lien on it. It is in PA

View more questions Search