Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lkm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Ceiling fan w/remote and light. Which is hot, red or black
    Sorry, it looks like this was kind of discussed but when it comes to electrical one needs to be careful. There are four wires and the red one does not have a wire from the ceiling to the fan housing that has a red connection. However there is a black and white strip that doesn't match up to anything. If I understand correctly the red can be capped off and not used?

Your help is greatly appreciated... :)
    Glover Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jun 18, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Ihvkj
    lkm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Glover
    ihvkj
    Yes, I did the search and read that and still wasn't sure that is why I asked. It was not totally clear.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Some questions for you.

Are you talking about wires in the ceiling or wires wires within the fan unit? Your use of the "Black/White" wires leads me in the direction of the fixture with one B/W wire for the Fan and the other for the Light.

What type (if any) wall switch do you have?

What was installed in the ceiling prior to your putting the fan in?

Do you know whether the source power is in the ceiling, then routed to a wall switch with a return to the ceiling?

Typically, you would use 3 wire (Black [hot] Red [hot] White [Neutral] and bare or green as ground. If the power source is from a connection point in the ceiling, you would connect the while wire from the switch (use a permanent Black marker to color the white wire so that you will know it is a hot wire. The white wire would feed three way wall switch. The black and Red would carry the power back to the fixture and depending on the wiring schematic Black would supply power to the fan and Red would supply power for the light package. White from the fan connects to the White of the power source and ground connects to ground.

There is another way to wire that has the switch providing the power via the Black and Red. White in this instance connects to the white from the fan and connect the grounds together.

So, what type of wiring do you have?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Yeah I don't understand your question.

1. What wires do you have from the ceiling?
    2. What wires do you have from the fan?
    3. What was installed there before and how was it wired?

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install a remote to a hunter ceiling fan/light fixture with 4 black, 4 white, [ 4 Answers ]

Install a hunter remote to a hunter ceiling fan/light fixture

Ceiling Fan Remote not turning Light on [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to install the remote control to the Harbor Breeze Triton Ceiling fan. Everything is running accept with the exception of the light. There was Three wires coming from the box; White, Black, and Green. All wire connected correctly. The fan works with the remote, However, the light...

Ceiling fan w/light and remote issue! [ 2 Answers ]

My ceiling fan and light are hooked up to a remote and there is no other switch in the house that can control it. I have the same fan and light in two rooms. All of a sudden the light and fans are dimming then getting bright and constantly cahnging. Any ideas on what to do??

Remote Control Light and Ceiling Fan [ 3 Answers ]

Hello All, I have just had two Omega Casablanca remote control Ceiling and Light fans fitted. My question I have noticed that when I use my microwave oven this will turn on the light or fan on these units, is this normal and how can I rectify the problem. Thanking you kindly, sarah 1:confused:

Installing Ceiling Fan Wall Remote with Red & Black Wires? [ 13 Answers ]

I am trying to install a Hampton Bay Wall Remote Control that transmits a signal to a receiver that I will install behind the Ceiling Fan assembly. Problem: Remote instructions state to connect the 2 Black wires from the wall switch to the new Remote switch. The wall switch has a Red and a...

View more questions Search