Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkaiserjr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Connecting a ceiling fan w/remote
    Home is prewired for a ceiling fan. 2 swiches at wall (one for fan power, one for light).

At the ceiling fan box, there are 3 wires black/red/white +grounds coming from the house wiring.

Typically, I would connect the ceiling fan black to house black, fan blue to house red, and fan white to house white. However, with a remote receiver, I now only have a black and white for the fan (because the remote receiver connected to the blue/black/white of the fan).

From the house wiring black and red are both hot (one for fan, one for light). Since I ony have a black and white from the fan now, should I connect house black to fan receiver black, white to white, and cap the house red wire?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Yes. You can pick which switch controls the power to the fan. Your choices are:

Red (house) to Black (fan) -OR-

Black (house) to Black (fan)

Cap the other wire.

What I might do, is install a small light somewhere (Canopy plate?) to act as a night light which would be operated by the unused switch.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2008, 11:05 PM
    KISS is correct.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    mkaiserjr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Thank You for your input. Fan/Wiring is working. THANKS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change ceiling fan remote batteries on a hamilton bay remote control unit [ 3 Answers ]

Before I break the darn thing, can you tell me if the back panel comes off or if I have to unscrew the top and bottom screws?

Getting crt alt and delete after connecting with remote. [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if there is a way to stop from getting the log on screen on the host computer when connecting using remote desktop? I wanted to connect to the computer and have the person in front of it be able to see what I am doing. I want to do this without the person sending me an invite. In...

Connecting a two way switch to a habor breeze remote [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a harbor breeze (garrison) fan w/light kit, the installation of the fan and light kit was fairly straight forward. This fan comes with a hand held remote, however, I am trying to install a harbor breeze wall remote control unit. On the remote wall unit there are two black...

Connecting a ceiling fan with a 2 wire remote [ 4 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with black and a white wire that connects to the supplied voltage. The problem is that I have 4 wires (Red, white black and bare). Which wires do I connect to the remote? The output of the remote is Blue, Black, White and Ground.

Connecting Remote to Hampton Bay fan with light kit [ 7 Answers ]

I brought a remote control for a fan that doesn't come with remote control. I have 2 wire (white and black wire) from transmitter to connect to AC power, but my room has been prewired for light and fan, therefore there is 3 wire white, red and black. I connected the black to the black and white...

View more questions Search