Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mstaples Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2008, 02:40 AM
    1yo Puggle doesn't sleep
    I have a 1 yo puggle male who refuses to sleep through the night. He is crated most of the day while I am at work, since he likes using my furniture and clothing as a chew toy. When I get home (5pm), he gets to run as much as he wants, and does quite a bit in our yard until we go to bed at around 10. He gets fed 2x a day, at 6 am and 6pm.

He used to get up between 4:30 and 5am, but now it's 2am. He won't go back to bed, and I can't work on 4 hours of sleep.

I know the common solution is to crate the dog, but a) we don't have room in our bedroom for his crate, and b) he is already in the crate for the better part of the day, so this seems a bit cruel. Maybe I'm wrong?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 08:01 AM
    I hate to say this, but I'd recommend more exercise. It sounds like the dog may not be getting tired out during the day, and it's awfully hard to sleep when you aren't.
    AlwaysWriting Posts: 131, Reputation: 6

Jun 17, 2008, 08:13 AM
    He most likely needs more exercise, and I'd take his water away around 6pm.
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Jun 17, 2008, 11:31 AM
    What does water have to do with anything?

mstaples.. you need to poop your dog out. Your back yard is nothing but a big crate in your dogs eyes and should never be substitute for a good walk. Dogs need walks not only for exercise but also, their sanity.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 12:02 PM
    You're not supposed to crate your dog all day long. If you can't let him run free, give him a pen or a safe room.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

House training almost 1 year old puggle [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted our puggle from a humane society and was told that she is a submissive pottier. I am not sure if the previous owners were abusive but they certainly did not train her. She will be 1 in the end of January and we have had her for about 3 months. Well I started crate training her, but it...

6 month old Puggle just adopted [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just adopted (rather saved) a 6 month old female Puggle from a rather rough situation. I am uncertain if she's had any of her shots, but will be scheduling with a local Vet shortly to handle this. My biggest problem is that she's REALLY skinny. You can clearly see each rib and I just was...

Can't sleep [ 10 Answers ]

Ok so I have a bit of insomnia and I like to read to pass the time... So I usually just look at a magazine before hitting the hay, but I'd rather being reading a good book, so I'm looking for a few good suggestions... Please no horror types or sci-fi. Thanks!:o :o

Puggle Crate Training [ 5 Answers ]

We got our puggle from the humane society and he is about ten months old. They told us he was crate trained and for the first few nights he was fine. Then he started pooping in his crate. Even during the day he doesn't "tell" us when he needs to go out -- so I end up walking him about ten times...

View more questions Search