Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lnza4 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jun 16, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Resue dog insecure
    I adopted a mix breed from a shelter over a year she is believed to be about 1.5 now. Why can't I break this dog out of her shyness. She is afraid of everyone and hides in corners. I am the only one she follows, we are always praising her and rewarding her but she still shows signs of being afraid. Help..
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 09:32 PM
    It's possible that the rewards and praise are actually reinforcing the shy behavior, depending on when you do them. You might want to talk to a behaviorist about the situation and see if he can give you some guidance on how to handle it. Or look for a trainer with a "shy dogs" class.

Jun 16, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion on Oreo. I will look into getting some therapy for me and my dog!!
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Jun 17, 2008, 03:48 PM
    My advice is to pick up a book and learn about being the pack leader. The dog shouldn't rely on you for security but shouldn't be dominant either so you have to find the middle ground. This is also important because the dog needs to understand you are in charge and can keep her safe (same psychology of an aggressive dogs, they turn to aggression because they feel the need to protect themselves because they don't have a leader to protect them)The most important thing you can do is ignore her shy behavior, avoid eye contact when she is unsure of herself, never ever shield her from anything or force her to inspect it. A dog trainer may tell you to use positive training methods so ignore the bad, praise the good (very very good confidence builder) Here are some exercises I use with my mutt, I build my dogs confidence by making him sit and stay on the deck and I hide his stuffed duck around the house, when I give him the OK, he searches for it and when he finds it I say 'There it is!! Wwwoooww!! ' Also any basic dog commands can build confidence...
    Be patient she may need a few months of therapy.

Jun 17, 2008, 07:59 PM
    Thanks for the feed back on Oreo. I will work on getting assistance on her behavior, I will be leaving for college soon and it's imperative that she gets out of this stage before I leave for school and then my mom is left with the situation,, Thanks again... Where is Cesear when you really need him!!
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 17, 2008, 08:50 PM
    There is a book about shy dogs written by Patricia McConnell. Can't remember the exact title, something like "Your Shy Dog". Check on Amazon.com--its a pretty short book, but has a very common-sense approach.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm an insecure boyfriend, and don't want to hurt my girlfriend. Jelous and insecure [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, thanks for coming to help out. I don't want to go on a whole large rant, but I do want to make sure that anyone reading this truly gets what I am talking about. My name is Kevin and I have been in a relationship with my girlfriend for a little over a year now. I met her in High school and...

I'm so insecure [ 11 Answers ]

OK well I have been in a relationship for a year and a half now. And everything is going GREAT! But I have an issue of my own... I am very very insecure and it had effected out relationship t. I always tell him don't look at girls and he said he don't but everyone keeps telling me that every guy...

Insecure [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been dating for three years but I am really scared of losing him. I always ask him if he really loves me and I get jelous if he talks to another girl. What can I do to try to change.:( :confused:

I'm insecure [ 3 Answers ]

Hey folks, I'm new to all this, I'm feeling really down this week. I have been drinking a lot lately and so I'm planning on trying to sit in for a while, the problem is we all had a night out planned in a few weeks. I really want to stay in but I'm so worried about my boyfriend going out without...

Was I insecure.or was I right? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey all, Unless you've read my past posts, you don't know the whole story, but I'll try to condense greatly here: I had a girlfriend who had a problem with my inesecurity over a guy she met while studying abroad. She and he hung out all the time together, he was hitting on her a lot, lots of...

View more questions Search