Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeffery Cullers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Credit Card company debt
    A credit card company is harassing my mother for an old debt on a company credit card my father held while our family business was active. She never had a card or used it. She did work in the business as V.P.. The card was in our company's name and my fathers. He has passed and the company filed bankruptcy before he died five years ago. Can they legally come after her?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Was the card listed in the bankruptcy, if so, notify the card company that that debt was discharged in the bankruptcy

If the card was also in his name ( personal) then his estate would have been liable to pay it at his death. So if there was bank accounts, a house and more passed on though probate this death would have been paid though those.

So can they legally come after her?? Not enough info to know for sure.
    TheCleaner Posts: 152, Reputation: 3

Jun 17, 2008, 04:44 PM
    If she did never co-signed when your father applied for the card is only liable if she lives in a "comunity property" state and your father applied personally for the card.
    If the card was included in the bankrrupt, forget it ,there is no way to held her liable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I validate a debt after being served with a lawsuit from a credit card company? [ 11 Answers ]

I am being sued by Capital One bank because I defaulted on a credit card. I have received intermittant letters from different collection agencies regarding this account. I didn't know anything about validation of debt. Anyway, my husband got a call from a collection agency saying they were...

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Parents in debt, can credit card company seize son's assets? [ 3 Answers ]

My parents have some outstanding debt (right around $33,000) on a mastercard. Today my father seems to have just found out about it and called the company today. He basically told them to accept $30,000 immediately or sue. Now my question, my truck was purchased with my money, I can prove this, but...

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

View more questions Search