Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rudolph1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 12, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Don't want to be the maid of honor
    :( My sister in law is getting married. She is my husbands sister. We are not close at all but her mother and her are so snooty that I believe they asked me to be the maid because it would look bad if the asked someone else. To make a long story short, they never have really like me, they have always treated me like they wish my husband picked a better wife. I am a wonderful wife to him, I love him with all my heart and he me, we have 2 kids and 12 years together. They are making me very uncomfortable during this whole thing. They treat me like I am white trash and they are the trumps. The whole thing has made me cry at least twice already. I really need to get out of this. We would like to just be guests at the wedding. But I know if I back out of this it will start a war and I don't want to do that. I just want to gracefully back out. I so do not want to be her maid of honor.. I don't even like her that much. Her husband doesn't believe in GOD and I am a strong believer in JESUS and this is something I feel that is another issue. How can I stand up for a wedding to someone who doesn't believe in GOD.

I really just need some advice as to how to get out of this, my husband loves me and see's the way they treat me and says it's fine if this is what I want. How can I gracefully get out of being a maid of honor to snooty people who already hate me. I really, really don't want bad feelings.

Thanks!!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 06:37 PM
    It's only one day, can't you just bite your lower lip and get through it?

How many preparations have been made, did you already go dress shopping, shoe shopping, or were you just asked recently?

If it's recent, then just let them know that you are uncomfortable standing up for her, seeing as you really don't know each other that well. Maybe suggest that one of her friends be her matron, not you.

It sounds like maybe they are trying to bring you closer to the family, is that a possibility? What does your husband think?

Good luck.

Jun 12, 2008, 06:47 PM
    I really don't think they are trying to bring me closer because in every other situation they push me away. My husband see's the way they treat me and says he will take care of it and get me out of it but I know it will cause a war and I don't want that to happen. My husband loves me very much and it pisses him off to see them treat me like I am beneath them. I know they only asked me because of how it looks to the outside. That's how they are. She is getting married in 2009 so this is all new. She just asked me a couple of months ago but I already have pages and pages of things emailed to me that I need to do. I just got a boob job and now she say "oh, you know you have to wear a dress with a big bow to cover your boobs" and I said "that's fine, it's your wedding" and she says, I might just make you wear one in your hair. I mean that's just being mean! But I would do it if that's what she wants. We went to a party on Sunday and they were just making comments, negative ones' towards me. It was just an uncomfortable day. That's when I decided I just don't want to put myself through this. I know it's going to be a lot of grief for the next year.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 06:49 PM
    If you don't want to, just tell them,
    Pets Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Nothing to lose then, just tell them that you've thought it over and don't want to do it. Tell them right away, the sooner the better. Hope it works out for you. :)

Jun 12, 2008, 06:54 PM
    You know, your so right! I just need to strap my balls on and tell them. This way she can find someone else.

Thanks!:D :D
    Pets Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 06:55 PM
    No problem, that's why we're here. Good luck. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maid Of Honor Toast needed quick.. HELP [ 1 Answers ]

I know it's the 11th hour, but my daughter is in desperate need for a short, cute and memorable Maid of Honor Toast for a wedding she is going to attend tomorrow (9/20). If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated. **She is Maid of Honor for her best friend.

National honor society [ 2 Answers ]

When trying to get into national honor society, what are some examples of leaderhsip positions? Is being mvp of a team a leadership position?

Issue with being Maid of Honor [ 44 Answers ]

My best friend is getting married in May and has asked me to be the Maid of Honor. I accepted but told her when I accepted that I would not be able to afford to purchase a "one time use" gown and would need her guarantee that my dress would be something classic and re-wearable she agreed. Well...

Matron of Honor under 18 [ 3 Answers ]

I am the matron of honor in my cousin's wedding. We didn't know if I would be able to sign as the witness on the marriage license at the wedding, even though I am under 18. Does anyone know about this? Thanks :)

Honor Father with a song [ 4 Answers ]

My father passed away 6 months ago and I am engaged to be married later in the year. We were very close, and of course I'm going to miss having him there on the wedding day. He and I talked about our father-daughter dance, but never picked a song. There are a couple of beautiful songs (for example,...

View more questions Search