Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mindylee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Does Ibuprofen have negative side effects?
    Does ibuprofen have bad side effects if taken on a daily basis? I have been taking it for about a month on a daily basis, and I've been experiencing some nausea and upset stomach from time to time. A friend told me experiencing irritates the stomach lining, is there any truth to this information?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 12:32 PM
    I did a bit of research on the subject because I used to take it daily for migraines...

So, this is the first thing to read:
    DRUG INTERACTIONS: Ibuprofen is associated with several suspected or probable interactions that can affect the action of other drugs. Ibuprofen may increase the blood levels of lithium (Eskalith) by reducing the excretion of lithium by the kidneys. Increased levels of lithium may lead to lithium toxicity. Ibuprofen may reduce the blood pressure-lowering effects of drugs that are given to reduce blood pressure. This may occur because prostaglandins play a role in the regulation of blood pressure. When ibuprofen is used in combination with aminoglycosides [for example, gentamicin (Garamycin)] the blood levels of the aminoglycoside may increase, presumably because the elimination of aminoglycosides from the body is reduced. This may lead to aminoglycoside-related side effects. Individuals taking oral blood thinners or anticoagulants [for example, warfarin (Coumadin)] should avoid ibuprofen because ibuprofen also thins the blood, and excessive blood thinning may lead to bleeding.

SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects from ibuprofen are rash, ringing in the ears, headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, constipation and heartburn. NSAIDs reduce the ability of blood to clot and therefore increase bleeding after an injury. Ibuprofen may cause ulceration of the stomach or intestine, and the ulcers may bleed. Sometimes, ulceration can occur without abdominal pain, and black, tarry stools, weakness, and dizziness upon standing (orthostatic hypotension) due to bleeding may be the only signs of an ulcer. NSAIDs reduce the flow of blood to the kidneys and impair function of the kidneys. The impairment is most likely to occur in patients who already have impaired function of the kidney or congestive heart failure, and use of NSAIDs in these patients should be cautious. People who are allergic to other NSAIDs, including aspirin, should not use ibuprofen. Individuals with asthma are more likely to experience allergic reactions to ibuprofen and other NSAIDs. Fluid retention (edema), blood clots, heart attacks, hypertension and heart failure have also been associated with the use of NSAIDs.

Hope this helps!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 02:19 PM
    I believe this is the article in which Chi found the above information. It is ALWAYS recommended that you site your sources.

ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) – drug class, medical uses, medication side effects, and drug interactions by MedicineNet.com
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 03:15 PM
    It is, sorry about that...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Side effects [ 4 Answers ]

Please can you tell me what side effects I will have to expect on superfact

Side effects [ 1 Answers ]

What are the side effects of metoprolol succ er in adult males

If I can't climax, are there other ramifications? [ 4 Answers ]

My question is pretty straighforward (I think). Are there physiological effects that happen to a man when he's been aroused and doesn't climax? Thanks.

Negative Effects of Heightism [ 8 Answers ]

Heightism is judging someone negativly based on their height. Similar to judging people on being overweight, coloured, foreign etc. How best to deal with this in relationship, as women prefer the taller guy !

View more questions Search