Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tell me more Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 08:59 PM
    Shower Tiling with Lowe's cheap ceramic tiles
    Lowe's here in the New Orleans area has a 49 cents/sq ft-- l7 1/4 CERAMIC tile that I would like to use on my backer-boarded shower walls. The backer board will be waterproofed and now I have to tile it! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have never done this before and have been told way too much by the sales people at Lowe's and Home Depot. One says use epoxy--one says epoxy is too hard and to use Sanded Grout, etc. etc.

HELP!

THANKS.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Since it is late you may not get an answer tonight... but check back in tomorrow. We have some pretty knowledgeable in that area.

Jun 12, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Thanks. I will do that.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 12, 2008, 07:24 AM
    I would use the sand and cement grout. Cement as we know stands up to a lot of abuse. The epoxy would be good for making repairs in cracked grout later
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jun 12, 2008, 11:33 AM
    I would use modified thinset for mounting the tiles and a good quality premixed stain resistant grout . If I missed anything let me know. GOOD LUCK,AC

Jun 12, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Thanks!

Jun 12, 2008, 12:30 PM
    I hadn't got the swing of how to answer and ask yet so please forgive. I will read the entire directions on the site tonight when I am through worrying about this cement base!Thanks to you all.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 16, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Welcome to the site! Those low priced ceramic tiles were on sale at our Lowe's store too. I had to be physically restrained from buying them by my wife.. What a deal!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 08:05 AM
    OK you use modified thinset to set the tiles and the grout only is used to fill the gap between the tiles but not at the corners or floor, caulk that area. Not sure of the size but if the tile is about 17" its really big and you'd be going with a 1/4" grout line and also use a 1/4" trowel to spread your thinset. I'm lazy so I use a premixed stainproof grout that runs about $25 per tub. If you need specific directions just ask. Tiling can appear easier than it is if you want a good finished project.

Jun 16, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Thanks. I have to be out for about a week, but you know lies ahead at home when I return! Couldn't do it without all this advice!

Jun 16, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    OK you use modified thinset to set the tiles and the grout only is used to fill the gap between the tiles but not at the corners or floor, caulk that area. Not sure of the size but if the tile is about 17" its really big and you'd be going with a 1/4" grout line and also use a 1/4" trowel to spread your thinset. I'm lazy so I use a premixed stainproof grout that runs about $25 per tub. If you need specific directions just ask. Tiling can appear easier than it is if you want a good finished project.

I tried to rate but site wouldn't let me. I will have to read those instructions from day 1 when i return.

Out for now.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Thanks, you must rate at least 5 other folks before you can come back and rate someone again. They like for you to spread it around.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Jun 16, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    OK you use modified thinset to set the tiles and the grout only is used to fill the gap between the tiles but not at the corners or floor, caulk that area.

Yep I couldn't give you a greenie either but you nailed it. I completely forgot to mention that. Have a good day, AC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceramic tiling, ceiling [ 9 Answers ]

What is the best way to install ceramic tile in a bathroom shower on the ceiling. Once you place the tiles, do they have to be supported until the thinset dries? If so, how have you done this?

Porcellaine / ceramic tiling [ 1 Answers ]

What are the this / advantages of porcellaine and ceramic tiles Especially: Is it really more difficult to lay porcellaine - why Which one is more robust / does not show scrates easily Thanks guys

How-To-Install ceramic Tiling [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for some advice on how to install and cut ceramic tiles. Looking for the Micky Mouse version of how to do this. :eek:

Attaching ceramic corner shelf to ceramic tiles [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add a couple of ceramic shelves to my bathroom ceramic tub surround. What can you use to attach ceramic shelves to ceramic tiles? I tried the same glue used to put tiles on the drywall but they just slide. Thanks in advance!

Help, can I put new ceramic tiles over existing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Can I replace old tiles by putting new ones on top is there any thing special I should do to prepare for this , they are in a bathtub area.:o

View more questions Search