Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eigenheerc Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2006, 06:03 AM
    Distributor ball bearing is shot
    I found out that the insided ball bearing of my 91 honda accord distributor is shot and was told by honda that they don't fix it, they just replace the entire distributor. Since paying $450 bucks seems ridiculous for one worn out part I ended up ordering a bearing from NACHI in Toronto for $53 bucks instead and need to put it in tonight.

So the question is this: How hard is it to replace an old worn out ball bearing that's on a 12mm shaft with the newly purchased bearing? I heard that you're not supposed to hammer it in (apparently the shock can damage the bearing) but what else is there to know? OR, should I just pay a machine shop twenty bucks and have them do it for me? I got a fairly well equipped shop but just because I've never done I'm a bit hesitant...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Mar 9, 2006, 07:50 AM
    You can remove the old bearing in any manner that gets the job done, without causing damage to the rest of the distributor; whether you use a puller; an arbor press; or hammer and punch. Clean up the bearing surface of the shaft with fine sandpaper. Apply some lubricant on the shaft to make assembly easier. When pressing or tapping the bearing onto the shaft, apply force only to the inner bearing race (the one in contact ith the shaft). If you beat or press on the outer race, you will put small flat spots (Brinell) on the ball bearings that will cause premature failure. When installing the shaft in whatever housing holds the outer race, gently tap/press on the outer race only. Good luck.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Mar 9, 2006, 04:03 PM
    53$?? You got ripped off a lot! I bought an SKF bearing that is good to 17k rpms for 4$ and installed it. It works fine.

Here is a write-up I did: http://thezcr.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12945
    andy88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 06:25 AM

53$ is quite a lot ripping off :S
    ------------
    ball bearing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rear bearing on General Electric clothes dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to replace the rear bearing on dryer model DDE6500GALAD? I can put a drop of oil on it from the rear of the dryer and it stops squeaking for a few loads but then starts again. I can't find any documentation for it on the GE site. Thanks

Interest bearing account for up front rental payments? [ 3 Answers ]

Is a landlord required to put rental payments, (paid in advance), in an interest-bearing account? Note, the rental payments are NOT a security deposit.

Oil in distributor of '96 nissan altima [ 4 Answers ]

To check for oil seeping into distributor, do you simply take off the cover and inspect for oil or do you have to break the distributor down further? Car running like a riding mower with bent blades. Doesn't kill or anything but runs rough in lower gears and gets progressively better as I...

91 accord distributor on 92 ? [ 3 Answers ]

OK I have a 94 prelude I just put a 91 accord motor in but I used the prelude wiring harness (h23 dohc) so it's the samething as a 92 accord harness . The 91 has a internal coil and 92 has external and that's what I need but I was told that I could use the 91 but I would have to leave the coil...

View more questions Search