Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Jun 9, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Serpentine belt
    So I took my jeep in for brake check need new brakes . Price qouted seems about right for work. During the inspection of my car I was told the serpentine belt was in need of replacement. How do I know it needs to be changed. Is it a scam our a real concern. The cost to change it with parts is 150$ . Does this sound right? Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2008, 05:17 AM
    I recommend changing the serpentine belt and tensioner pulley every 80,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. You can buy a new serpentine belt for around $22 and a new tensioner pulley for around $18. In my opinion, $150 for what he proposed to do is excessive.

The link below may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post578394
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 05:26 AM
    $150 is very pricey if all the tech is changing is the belt. If s/he's doing the belt and the entire tensioner assembly, then it's a reasonable price. Do you know when you had the belt and/or tensioner changed last?

To determine if your belt needs to be replaced, all you really need to do is take a good look at it. Check to make sure the backing isn't wearing through or cracking. Then follow it until you can see the side with the ribbing. Is there apparent cracking? Is it missing any pieces of the ribbing? Eyeball the width of the ribbing to make sure that they all appear uniform; uneven ribbing could mean the belt has been running unevenly from misalignment. You can also pull on the belt. Very minimal play is acceptable; however, if you can pull on the belt more than an inch you should replace the tensioner assembly, not just the pulley.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 03:54 PM
    You must also realise that vehicles today have only one belt doing the job of what up to 4 belts did in older cars.
    This one belt drives many accessaries. In my opinion, 4 years is long enough for one of these belts. The tensioner is what's probably driving the price up, and today's high labor rates too. Shop around a bit on that one. I agree, a little pricey.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Belt diagram murray 17 hp 42 inch belt [ 4 Answers ]

I boke the primary belt on my murray 17 hp 42 inch mower and I can't seem to remember how it went on,please help.:o

Dryer Belt broke and belt tension pulley fell out. Where does it go? [ 1 Answers ]

When the dryer belt broke, the belt pulley fell to the bottom of the dryer. I can't find where to put it back. The dryer is 25 years old. I don't want to pay for a service call. Is there a manual on line?

Serpentine belt diagram [ 3 Answers ]

I went to go put the serpentine belt on my 1999 chevy truck with 454, just to find out someone tore the diagram sticker off. Does anyone have a diagram to help me put the belt on right? THANKS, greatkids

Serpentine Belt Tensioner [ 2 Answers ]

'93 Asuna Sunfire needs serpentine belt tightened. Anyone knows how to adjust the belt tensioner?

View more questions Search