Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miner_dude Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2006, 08:41 PM
    Working on OPT after H1 approval
    Atlanta Expert ,

I see your excellent solutions , hats off to you.

I need a piece of advice.My consultancy is running my payrole on OPT (which is valid till April 2006 ) even when my H1 is approved earlier with a start date of jan 1 2006 .

What are the consequences? Is it legal or do I need to make any adjustments in taxes in the subsequent months? I am planning to go stamping in few months.

Thanks in advance .
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2006, 09:10 PM
    Starting on 1 Jan 2006, you became liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes. That is driven by your H-1 visa status, not the OPT.

Did you inform your employer that your visa status changed on 1 Jan 06? If so, and he did not start withholding Social Security and Medicare taxes, that falls on him, not you. However, you may want to tell him what I stated above.
    miner_dude Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2006, 09:17 PM
    Thanks for your quick reply!

I did mention that my status has changed but he has not with held my social and medicare taxes . However, going forward do I need adjustment for the taxes in the subsequent months?

What should I do as I am planning for H1 stamping shortly?
    Please advice.

Once again thanks for your quick response!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Notify your employer in writing that you have changed visa status to H-1. Give him the effective date of the change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ps2 not working [ 13 Answers ]

Hi all Could someone tell me the answer of what I can do here? When me ps2 was still under warranty... I had a problem with "not reading disks" error. I sent the console out for repair and when it returned... things worked fine. Now, the games will not work again! No error comes up at all...

Working on OPT after H1 approval [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Iam student working on OPT status . Recently my H1 was approved with start date from Jan 1, 2006 . My OPT is valid until May 2006. Can still work using my Opt till May 2006? If so what are the consequences?? :confused: will it matter me if I am going for H1 B stamping with these...

Submissions to my book with contract? And changing Doctor's text with approval? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello... I am writing my second book and I would like to include people's stories and poems in it. Do I have to have them sign a contract for release of one time rights for me to be able to use this? SECOND QUESTION: I may have a doctor write up a section on what services he performs. If my...

Working on opt [ 1 Answers ]

I am an F1 student on my OPT. I just got a job offer and they want me to work as a contractor for a while i.e. on 1099. Can I do that?

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search