Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sam8988378 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jun 9, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Heater coil or a hose gone bad in the honda?
    I had the radiator replaced last summer (hole in the top) of my 92 honda accord. I hadn't noticed anything wrong during car air conditioning season. Once cooler weather & the need for the heater and/or defroster came, I noticed the smell of antifreeze coming from the vents. There would also be a film on my windsheild.

People & research tell me it's the heater core. But when the heater core is bad, isn't there supposed to be a loss of antifreeze? I've checked the level many times, and it is fine. No spray I can see in the engine, nothing on the ground. If anything is leaking, the amount is negligible. Is it possible that only a hose may need to be replaced?

Replacing the heater core is very expensive (according to my mechanic) a couple hundred dollars at the very least. This repair would have to go on my high interest credit card and take awhile to pay. So of course I'm hoping for a hose. But I kind of want to know whether I'm in for a big bill or something manageable. Any feedback?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 12:19 PM
    If there is a film on your windshield, it's most likely the heater core. The reason it's so costly to replace is because the brilliant minds in the engineering department decided to bury it behind the glove box, kick panel, etc. The part itself is relatively inexpensive. Sorry for the bad news :(
    sam8988378 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jun 12, 2008, 01:16 PM
    *sigh*, better to know bad news is coming, than to be blindsided. Between the heater core location and the main relay replacement having to be re-replaced, I'm beginning to reassess my former endorsement of hondas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 heater coil on ford ranger. [ 1 Answers ]

How to change a heater coil on 92 ford ranger.

Electric water heater or tankless coil? [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a home that had an electric water heater, Which every 6 weeks has to be shocked with bleach to get rid of awful smell, I guess due to the well water and reaction to anode rod? Well My boiler has a coil in it, I was wondering do you think it would be cost effective to pipe the coil in. I...

Locate the coil on 90 honda civic [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the coil on a honda civic, 1990 . Near the distributer or inside the cap or elsewhere ?

Heater coil [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a heater replaced but not the air conditioner. I just now had my air conditioner replaced (central) and the installers told me that I had a rusting coil that was leaking. They did some minor corrections but told me that the heater installer should have replaced this coil at the...

I need a new heater coil and ignitor [ 3 Answers ]

My a/c guy told me I need a new heater coil and ignitor, but its going to be expensive. I am handy and electronically and mechanically inclined, can someone help me do it myself? Thanks!

View more questions Search