Ask
    rlockr112 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 04:22 AM
    Withdrawing from 401K after retirement
    What amount of a 401k do I have to withdraw at the age of 70.5
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 8, 2008, 04:41 AM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

There is a speciifc formula based on age, presumed longevity and the balance in the account. Your plan administrator should help calculate this for.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 9, 2008, 06:22 AM
    The mandatory withdrawal amount is based on an assumption of your life expectancy. The minimum withdrawal that you must start from your 401(k) and an IRA plans at age 70-1/2 is about 10.4%. Here is a chart that gives you the required distribution by age:

IRA minimum distributions table
    UK1997 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 12:14 PM
    I've heard that 4% (of the total account balance) per year is a good rule thumb.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 22, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by UK1997
    I've heard that 4% (of the total account balance) per year is a good rule thumb.
    That's a fine conservative rule of thumb to make sure that your investmet nest egg will last for many, many years - vitrtually forever - and grow to keep pace with inflation. It's not a bad withdrawal strategy if you are relatively young - say 60 or so. However, it does not satisy the requirements of the IRS with respect to minimum distributons from an IRA when you reach age 70-1/2. The 10-1/2% minimum withdrawal that the IRS reqiures is determined by the number of years of your life expectancy. For someone who is 70 years old, they have a life expectancy of 20 years or so, and a withdrawl of this magnitude should allow the assets to last just about last that long. That way the IRS gets its income tax paymet from you while you are still alive, as opposed to passing it all on to your heirs.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 07:02 PM
    The minimum required distribution (RMD) is amount in the plan divided by number of years of the life expectancy.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Elective Deferrals 401(k) Plans

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Withdrawing my 401K & Retirement plan [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving out of state and am looking into withdrawing my 401K to pay my debt and moving expenses since I will be unemployed for a short period. I have about $47K in my 401K Plan and $24K in my Retirement Plan. I know I will pay a 10% penalty. Are the tax consequences/penalties the same...

Withdrawing my 401k to purchase a business [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently looking at a business that I want to purchase. I have approximately $40k in an E-trade account. I know that if I withdraw this money I will be charged a %. Can you please tell me what I can expect between penalties and taxes? Also what if I invest in a business with it?

Withdrawing 401k [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to withdraw 401k, when withdrawing before retirement?

Withdrawing from 401K Plan [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard that with the new laws from the Penion Protection Act of 2006, I can withdraw some of my money and rollover to into an IRA with no separation of service? Is this true?

Withdrawing off my 401k? [ 2 Answers ]

First... I have 2 different 401ks. Should I roll these together before I withdraw or withdraw them separate? Second... how to I go about getting started? Is it paper work? If it is where to I get this paperwork? Anyone might be able to help... much appreciated. Thanks Steve

View more questions Search