Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whereisthesun Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 03:14 PM
    Difference between manic depressive and bipolar?
    My psychologist told me that I am either bipolar or manic depressive. I only visited with her once and have to go for more evaluations.

Can someone explain the difference between the two? I feel weird calling her to just ask her that question.

Thank you.
    kp42484 Posts: 39, Reputation: 16

Mar 6, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Hi,

I need help from other forum members, but I believe the two terms refer to the same disorder. My father has it, so I did a little research. I've heard it referred to using both those terms, but what I understand is that "manic-depressive" is the more dated term.

If I am not wrong, I wonder why your psychiatrist told you that you are either one or the other. They're the same. But, I am sure the doctor knows more than I do...

Any more input from others?
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2006, 04:45 PM
    Yes you're right, kp42484. The two terms are used interchangeably, and bipolar disorder is the current term, whereas manic depression was the older term. There is actually more than one kind of bipolar disorder listed in the DSM, the diagnostic and statistical manual used by psychiatrists to diagnose various mental illnesses. Whereisthesun, you might want to see a psychiatrist so that you can get a definitive diagnosis and therefore better treatment. Most psychologists are not licensed to make a diagnosis of this kind.
    zoophilian Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

Mar 13, 2006, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp42484
    Hi,

I need help from other forum members, but I believe the two terms refer to the same disorder. My father has it, so I did a little research. I've heard it referred to using both those terms, but what I understand is that "manic-depressive" is the more dated term.

If I am not wrong, I wonder why your psychiatrist told you that you are either one or the other. They're the same. But, I am sure the doctor knows more than I do...

Any more input from others?
    ============

to tell u the truth psychiatrist are a waste of time.One needs a guru in his or her life.psychiatrist's are like lawyers ,one is compelled to see them but they are not really helpful.One can be sad and successful.dont; run after happiness,none is fully happy,sadness is part of life and try to enjoy it also.juat make sure u end up being a important person in life,that is what counts.being a ordinary person is the most depressing thing in life.I hate myself for being ordinary.I strong hate myself for it.llomll
    icequeen28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 18, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Manic Depressive and Bi-Polar disorder are one in the same. I guess the reason they "changed" it from Manic Depressive to Bi-Polar is it "just sounds better".
    I suggest you find someone qualified to help you. It may take several calls and visits to find the right person. I know all too well. My husband is Bi-Polar. He was diag. over 2 years ago. We have been through several doctors, some agree, some don't.
    Bi-Polar is a very hard illiness to accept. It has taken my husband almost 2 years to accept the fact that he has an illness.
    Try to find a good support group in your area for people that have Bi-Polar. It took my husband 2 years to get involved in a support group while in the hospital. He felt he didn't need to hear anyone else's problems. It was helpful for him to hear that others were going through the same thing he was/is. He isn't alone.
    Also, don't be afraid to ask for help, get your family involved. Not only do you need support, your family does also. Support is as important as medication.
    Don't be afraid to call a "hotline" even if its to talk to someone other than family or friends. Don't wait, call as soon as you feel the need.
    Do not try to handle this on you own.
    Do not give up, there is help out there, you just have to keep looking.
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -

May 1, 2006, 10:37 PM
    The older term of manic depression has now been replaced with the term of Bipolar Disorder, but before you accept this diagnosis from a psychiatrist make sure that it is not in fact the hypoglycemic syndrome. This is also marked by wild mood swings - ups and downs - and can be treated by going on a Hypoglycemic Diet.

The condition can be tested with the four hour Medical Test for Hypoglycemia (not a test for diabetes!).

It can also be tested by the paper-and-pencil test called the Nutrition Behavior Inventory Test (NBI) , although this test is not as accurate as the medical test.

Please discuss with your therapist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bipolar? [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend has bipolar and I'd appreciate some adivce on how to handle it. Lately he has been very emotional. One minute he is happy and the next he is sad. I worry that I cause this emotional roller coaster and I wish that I could help... He has a hard time getting out his emotions and sharing...

Help for bipolar 6-year-old [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend has a 6 year old who has been diagnosed as bipolar. He goes monthly to a psychiatrist who writes a prescription for zyprexa, and haldol and that's all. She works full time but medical insurance is extra for her kids and she can't afford it. She seems to be getting the runaround...

Best friend is manic? [ 8 Answers ]

One of my best friends is -- I think -- going through a manic episode or maybe a psychotic break. She's drinking a lot, can't really have a linear conversation, she's very distractable, isn't taking her job all that seriously, is experiencing boundary issues, and is making a series of bad...

Best friend manic? [ 1 Answers ]

One of my best friends is -- I think -- going through a manic episode or maybe a psychotic break. She's drinking a lot, can't really have a linear conversation, she's very distractable, isn't taking her job all that seriously, is experiencing boundary issues, and is making a series of bad...

Bipolar [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend that I have been seeing for quite some time now has recently told me that he is in fact bipolar. I did some research online to find out more about it, since I knew very little to begin with. It can be, and is a very serious illness that needs to be dealt with in some form or another....

View more questions Search