Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csarver Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Hipaa Violations by a Doctor
    If a person fell at a restaurant and was injured, sought medical treatment. The doctor told the owner of the restaurant that the person's injuries was exaserbated by his weight. Is this OK?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 06:27 PM
    Who was paying for the doctor, if the restaurant sent him to a doctor and was paying for it, they were the client and he was being treated by the doctor for the restaurant. That is my first issue, who was the doctor working for.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 5, 2008, 06:31 PM
    Let me get this straight. The owner of the restaurant contacted the doctor and the doctor told him that the injuries were exacerbated due to his weight.

Are you sure it was the restaurant owner who called or his insurance company. Did the person file a claim against the restaurant?

If a claim was filed, that might have given the doctor permission to discuss the case. But if the restaurant owner just called the doctor that would be a HIPAA violation.

Another kicker is who paid for the doctor. If the restaurant paid for it, then the owner might be within his rights.

But even if this did happen, why do you think its important?
    csarver Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 06:38 PM
    The restaurant owner was speaking with the doctor. The restaurant was paying for it since the guy fell in the restaurant. I wouldn't think it would be ethical for the doctor to say "this guy was overweight and that is why his injuries were so bad".
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 06:45 PM
    This is where the issue is, since the restaurant is paying for the serice, they are the client, and they are working for the benefit of the people paying them, In fact I would assume they got the bill which showed exactly all the treatment he received and they would know what treatments were received even.

Now if the person went to his own doctor, and signed that he would be responsible for the bill, and then merely gave the bill for them to pay him back, that is different. For example when we sent people to the company doctor for a workers comp injury we would get a complete report on the injury.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 5, 2008, 06:55 PM
    When it comes to an issue such as this, the doctor is responsible for telling the restaurant owner/manager the cause or possible cause of the injury so that it may or may not be claimed on the restaurant's insurance.

You do not state specifically the sequences that lead up to the fall in question, therefore the question asked is rather hard to answer appropriately. Was there water on the floor and no "wet floor" marker in place? Were the floors recently waxed? Etc.

To fully answer your question the precipitating events would need to be known.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2008, 04:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    When it comes to an issue such as this, the doctor is responsible for telling the restaurant owner/manager the cause or possible cause of the injury so that it may or may not be claimed on the restaurant's insurance.

You do not state specifically the sequences that lead up to the fall in question, therefore the question asked is rather hard to answer appropriately. Was there water on the floor and no "wet floor" marker in place? Were the floors recently waxed? Etc.

To fully answer your question the precipitating events would need to be known.

Exactly - if someone's legs buckle because of excess weight, that's one thing; if the floor is wet or there is debris, that's another; I don't understand the part that the excess weight played in the fall - ? A lot will ride on the accident/incident report. Also - when a fall is involved the footwear is important. If I fall in stilettos it's a lot difference from falling in sneakers.

My other thought would be if a person is overweight it's rather obvious so I don't think this would be big news to the restaurant.

I run into this frequently - people file a claim for an injury or payment of medical bills resulting from an injury and then are upset that medical information is released to the person they are filing against. Once you file that claim your life concerning that incident (and this can involve life style - recreational drugs, prescriptions, underlying health conditions) can and very possibly will be released. I have never seen an ER report or a Physician's Report following an injury that did not include a history of some sort and often that history is something the injured person would prefer not be released.

I see people particularly upset when it's a workplace injury and suddenly the employer knows something the employee would prefer kept confidential.

Obviously if you are talking serous injury and lawsuit, then your whole life is exposed.

I see no HIPAA violation here -
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 6, 2008, 05:04 AM
    Ok, we have now eliminated any chance that this was a HIPAA violation. The restaurant was paying for the treatment, therefore they were entitled to know the diagnosis. Since they were approaching this from the angle of an insurance claim, then contributing factors were relevant. So I don't see anything unethical in the doctor's statement. If this came to a trial. The doctor would certainly be asked this question.

So I don't see anything untoward here. No HIPAA violation, no breach of ethics.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa Violations [ 1 Answers ]

How do I report a Hipaa violation?

HIPAA Violations? [ 27 Answers ]

My child was discovered to have lice at school. 1. The children were immediately lined up together to go to the nurse office for a lice inspection. My child was the only one told to take her belongings. Of course, the other children figured out that my child had lice. A notice was sent home to...

HIPAA Violations [ 2 Answers ]

Should all complaints regarding HIPAA violations be in writing? If you write a patients name on a whiteboard ,is that a HIPAA violation? How should you respond to a caller requesting information about a patient that does not want information released?

HIPAA violations [ 15 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend. He checked himself into the hospital for alcohol detox. He was later transferred to another facility because the first facility did not have overnight accommodations for detox. Meanwhile he was assured of patient confidentiality. At that facility one of the...

Hipaa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

The owner/boss of the company I was working for asked me question concering my doctors appointment. She got angry and basically demanded me to tell whether it was for medical research because she had heard it through the grapevine. I lied and told her it was not for that. She demanded me to tell...

View more questions Search