Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unclejohnny Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Want to write program to create computer driven car
    How hard would it be to write a program that takes input from 4 wireless high-speed digital video cameras and use it to be able to drive a car? My idea is to write this program, put sensors on the manual controls, and use RC servos to control controls. Use the sensors slaved to another comuter in case the main one crashes. How hard would this be? Am I foolish to think it can be done with today's technology? Should I wait another 10 years before this is freasible? Came up with idea in 1995, at age 11.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2006, 05:19 PM
    I know the feeling , coming up with an idea and then finding that it is already out there. I thought of the Greenie wirenut years before it actually came out. Not exactly robot cars but it was something.

If you can write this program , you can get a good job at the Jet Propulsion Labs . The link explains about the software used to control remote vehicles.

And there is a site from Georgia Tech that offers free opensource code for a remote control package.

I am sure this technology is being used by military and exploration more these days, and is not ready for inexpensive commercial applications.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2006, 05:48 AM
    I'm sure it can be done but it won't be easy (not even close). The whole problem would be processing the images from the cameras.

I don't think you'll be able to do this on your own. This is the kind of thing that takes large research teams years and years to do. Doing it on your own, in your free time is impossible.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2006, 08:04 AM
    Hi,
    There is also the possibility that your idea already has a patent. The Network News Organizations have already reported that a vehicle is being tested for "driving itself". No driver. No wiring to the highway. A passenger tells the instrumentation where he/she wants to go, and it drives you to the place!
    The presentation showed the vehicle making it's own turns on city streets, parking lots, etc.
    Ademan Posts: 40, Reputation: 11

Mar 10, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Well, lets look at this in parts. Controlling an rc car's remote controller, using servos, is easy, very easy, in fact it's a simple robotics question. On the other hand, writing the software to take four independent images and from that determine what makes up the area its in, where it can travel, where it cant... is a difficult problem, and then on top of that you have an element of pathfinding, programmers spend hours and hours, a single programmer could spend as much as 3 months or more (depending on experience) tackling the problem of artificial intelligence pathfinding, and that's all AFTER the hardest part. To interpret 4 separate video feeds is tough. If you can program a simple text interpreter (takes a picture containing text, and from that can read the text) then you're part of the way there. Computer visual recognition is a developing science, and because of that you'd be totally on your own.

Now on a different note, do you have any experience with programming? If not, learn, you can't even dream about actually accomplishing this without being an expert programmer (or have some working for you).

Cheers (I hate to be a killjoy, but visual recognition is... hard... at best)
    -Dan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who to contact to write a program? [ 4 Answers ]

I’m an Office Manager for a small specialty company. We are growing and I want to be able to enter our daily orders into the computer. It will save time and storage space. My boss is not computer literate and it needs to be simple. I’m not sure who to contact. I have never done any...

Computer Program for New School [ 6 Answers ]

I help run a new private school for dental assistants, and we are having to keep all of our information manually. How do I write a program to keep up with student information, grades, transcripts, payments etc. I don't know where to begin. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Technical Computer Program Documentation [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, There is a type of document that one creates in a programming company to document all elements of a created computer program. I remember learning that in high school but I can't find my notes. Does anyone know what is the structure of that type of document?? Thanks for any help lent! ;D...

How can create chocolate? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Would you mind tell me how can make chocolate?

Graphic Program Slows Computer [ 6 Answers ]

I am running Windows XP with 1 GB RAM but when I close down a graphics program after using it, I find the computer runs very slowly and I must reboot before I can continue to use it? Is there some work that has been stored during the operation of the graphics program that I can clear out so I...

View more questions Search