Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dvspring12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 06:04 AM
    Hampton Bay Fan Installation Problems
    I purchased a Hampton bay fan with a light and remote control. The room previously had a fan without a light. The wall switch (two switches) controlled the fan while one switch did nothing. The old fan also had a pull chain to change the blade speed.

I wired the fan yesterday and nothing worked. Coming out of the box in the ceiling is 3 wires. White (I assume neutral), black(I assume hot) and a ground.

I wired the light/fan to the remote that is stored at the ceiling box as follows. Lamp to remote (Blue to blue, white to white and black to black.)
    I then wired the black from the ceiling to the black on the remote, and the white from the ceiling to the white from the remote. This is the side of the ceiling remote with only 2 wires coming out of the side.

This seems to be correct according to the directions. I triple checked my connections and they are fine. I does not work. The batteries in the remote are new and the red light on the remote works fine. I checked the settings on the two remotes to be sure they were the same and they are.

I am not sure what to try next. I assume it has something to do with the wall switch(s) that are wired for a ceiling fan.

Can someone give me something I can try?

Thanks in advance

Dan
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2006, 03:48 PM
    If ceilingfanrepair guy sees this he may know exactly what the problem is. I am not familiar with this product, but have installed enough fans and other devices that the wiring connections you mention sound reasonable and logical. Should work.

Test the wiring from the ceiling to be sure there is power. Make sure there is no other wall switch that may be off.

Is the remote control board factory installed? May be a wire harness that needs to be connected, usuallly plugged in somewhere. There usuallu is a splice box down above or part of the light fixture. Open and check all wire connections there.

You can also try the manufacturer, all the contact info is in the Sticky at the top of the Electrical Forum. Thou it implies that the service may not be helpful, I have heard good reports about their help lately
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2006, 07:56 PM
    You give me too much credit!

I agree that the way you wired it appears to be correct. However the curious part to me is that there are two switches to control the fan, yet only a black, white and ground in the fan. Are you sure there are no other wires in the box?

The wall switch you speak of, is it two ordinary on-off switches, or some sort of special fan control? If the latter, did you remove it before wiring in the remote? Either way I think you should remove it and see how it is wired.. .

Speaking of wiring.. . Once we eliminate everything else, here is how it should be wired:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...fan-wiring.php

Though if we confirm there are no other wires, you've already got it.
    FANtastic Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Try bypassing the receiver to see if the fan will work without it. If the fan works w/out the receiver, then most likely the receiver is faulty. In this case, look in your manual to find the manufacturer's number or call 18775270313 with the model # or UPC of your fan. Once you contact the manufacturer, they should send you a new receiver, assuming you only recently purchased this fan and it is still under warranty.
    roger3125 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2006, 01:54 PM
    Been there, done that with Hampton Bay fans. A whole day wasted only to find the motor and/or lamp was defective. A HD employee told me if a customer returns something and there reason is simply "I changed my mind but it works fine", they will rewrap and put back on there. I've learned since then to "hang" the motor, connect wores and throw switch to test.

Took me two fans but the second went up very smoothly

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new house that is pre wired for a fan it has 4 wires coming out -red black, white, ground. My new fan is prewired with black,blue,green, white, I also have 3 switches on the wall and the fan has a light attached after wiring this fan nothing is happening. What should I do

Hampton bay fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new 52 inch hampton bay fan. It works fine but the lighting fixture gets so hot you can't hardly touch it. I installed the bulbs that it came with it almost smells like it is overheating the heat problem is just in the light fixture part of the unit

Hampton bay [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find discontinued hampton bay products? I need an additional Nouveau Art pendant light fixture and cannot find it anywhere!! Thanks!:

Hampton bay fan [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed hampton bay fan, I am sure it was installed correctly. However its has a remote control and the only way I can get the fan to work is if I turn on the light, no light no fan. Therefore I can not run it at night. :( :(

Hampton Bay Fan [ 1 Answers ]

My new Hampton Bay Nassau fan seems to run slow on high speed compared to my other fans. Is this normal operation or should I bring it back.

View more questions Search