Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2010, 05:54 AM

Left of the steering column:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post518093
    linhhoan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2010, 05:12 AM
    Guys, I have the same issue here, the car stalled while driving in the highway. The car will not start thereafter, even when the weather is cold or warm (Michigan April weather). I was able to tow the car home. The car was original owned by our family, so there is no 2nd hand owner. The car have 289K miles. I start during online research and begin working on this issue. Here is where I started.
    1. Checked the battery by replacing with a known good battery. I did not start.
    2. I opened the timing belt cover and the belt was good.
    3. I checked for the hummmm sound and click sound when turning the key to II, I heard hummmm and click. Fuel pump is good.
    4. I begin to look into the Main Relay and Iginition Switch. The switch was the issue. We never brought the car to the dealer to get the switch relaced.
    There are a couple website that helped me fix my problem. Both website are excellent and very details with animation pictures showing the problem.

Iginition Switch Problem in details with pictures
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignitionswitch.html

Recalled Issues w/phone number
    http://www.automallusa.net/1998/honda/accord/recalls.html

Good Luck!
    LH

Guys, I have the same issue here, the car stalled while driving in the highway. The car will not start thereafter, even when the weather is cold or warm (Michigan April weather). I was able to tow the car home. The car was original owned by our family, so there is no 2nd hand owner. The car have 289K miles. I start during online research and begin working on this issue. Here is where I started.
    3. I checked for the hummmm sound and click sound when turning the key to II, I heard hummmm and click. Fuel pump is good.
    4. I begin to look into the Main Relay and Iginition Switch. The switch was the issue. We never brought the car to the dealer to get the switch relaced.
    There are a couple website that helped me fix my problem. Both website are excellent and very details with animation pictures showing the problem.

Good Luck!
    LH

Good Luck!
    LH

Apr 22, 2010, 05:14 AM

How to replace the ignition switch or troubleshoot (Honda, Acura)

1998 Honda Accord Recalls, Problems, & 1998 Honda Accord Recall Details

Good Luck!
    LH
    kryptonites Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 03:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by linhhoan View Post
    guys, I have the same issue here, the car stalled while driving in the highway. The car will not start thereafter, even when the weather is cold or warm (Michigan April weather). I was able to tow the car home. The car was original owned by our family, so there is no 2nd hand owner. the car have 289K miles. I start during online research and begin working on this issue. Here is where I started.
    3. I checked for the hummmm sound and click sound when turning the key to II, I heard hummmm and click. fuel pump is good.

How to replace the ignition switch or troubleshoot (Honda, Acura)

1998 Honda Accord Recalls, Problems, & 1998 Honda Accord Recall Details

Good Luck!
    LH
    You the man. I soldered the dry joints on the circuit board of the main relay and its looking good. Thanks all that crap advice I got from honda dealers and different mechanics was a load of crap. TxGreaseMonkey you rock
    kryptonites Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 03:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonites View Post
    you the man. i soldered the dry joints on the circuit board of the main relay and its looking good. thanks all that crap advice i got from honda dealers and different mechanics was a load of crap. TxGreaseMonkey you rock
    TxGreaseMonkey = 10/10
    kevjr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 06:45 PM
    Im having problems with my 98 honda accord it all started a month or so ago it started but kind of sluggish choppy I guess . The it got worse it would take twice to start it then I left work and it didn't start I went home got rest went back it started went to leave it died going through the light towed it home anyway replaced the fuel pump checked the main relay with a new one allso checked all the fuses and the ignition so I don't know what it is I took it too the shop today .
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2010, 06:49 PM

kevjr, replace the Ignition Control Module:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896
    lilsnell8 Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2010, 11:10 PM
    I lately have been working on Hondas all the time. I mean that's the only thing people are bringing to me (maybe cause I own 3 of them) and 2 of them had this same problem. One ended up being the distributor and the other was the E.C.M. If your car seems to run fine for a min. and then tends to act up (when it runs for a long time) most likely it's the distributor. My other one that had the e.c.m. problem I auctually pulled the carpet back to locate it and took a lite smell of it and it smelled burnt(electrical burnt) and it was causing my injectors to not open.
    Johnnyone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2010, 09:05 AM
    I had a similar intermittent starting problem. I researched it and found that it is often caused by a cracked main relay board (up under dash)When it was hot it would expand and not start. It usually started when it was cold (in the garage) I had it replaced (the reapir guy did not believe me... Until he replaced it and it has worked for years now!)
    abbas1235 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 07:36 PM
    Hey guys, I have a honda accord 1990 model, which is doing the same thing, not starting sometimes, its an EX model, can someone tell where where the main relay is if I need to check that or something else, thanks
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2010, 07:44 PM

Under dash, left of the steering column (hidden by the silver cruise control box, which needs to be removed).
    abbas1235 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 08:09 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    Thanks, so if that did not work, any other suggestions?
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2010, 08:21 PM

Replace the Ignition Control Module and coil, which I suspect are causing the problem, if the CEL comes on and goes off normally:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896
    steveboyd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 12:49 AM
    Consider getting a JDM engine. It's from Japan, and a lot of the engines are in excellent condition.
    rrd39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 02:41 PM
    I am having the same problem. All the lights are fine, the battery is less than 3 months old. When I tried starting it, the car cranks up but does not start (happened 3-4 times now.. in all kinds of weather). It does start after 15 minutes of trying. Not sure what the problem is. Took it to the mechanic, he said unless the problem happens again and you get the car towed in that condition they can only guess as to what is wrong. Is it a good idea to change the main relay/spark plugs rather than waiting for the problem to occur again. As that's the main cause in most of the post over here.

I got a '99 Honda Accord Lx - 4 cylinder.
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2011, 04:15 PM
    rrd39, if the Check Engine Light comes on and goes off after 2 seconds, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), then replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil inside the distributor. Common problem on Hondas. Be sure to apply the silicone heat transfer grease to the back of the new ICM.
    rrd39 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2011, 11:37 AM
    Thanks Texasgrease Monkey, unfortunately the car didn't start today morning , so got it towed to Strauss Auto, they running a diagnostic to see what's wrong.. didn't know Honda could give so much trouble. Wait to hear back from them after the diagnostics.
    mrprice0218 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2012, 11:55 AM
    I replaced starter on my 1998 honda accord lx and now its turning over faster than normal but not starting, I can hear fuel pump, and main relay click afterwards, where should I start from here...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

98 1998 Honda Accord Ex Temperature Jumps Up And Down [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everybody.. I have a 98 honda accord coupe ex v-6 with 87000 miles on it.. the problem I'm having is sometimes when the car is in drive or park for a few minutes the temperature gauge will go really high like the car is running hot.. the fans will come on but the gauge will still be really...

1998 Honda Accord LX - starter problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Honda Accord LX that will not start - the engine will not turn over. This happened one time about 3 weeks ago and I was going to purchase a new starter (which I did about 3 years ago) but saw some information that it might be a main relay issue, but the car started every time I tried...

1998 honda Accord starter problems [ 2 Answers ]

I have the same problem with my 98 accord as was posted many months ago and wondered if anyone had solved their problem. I just tried to start the car and although the starter could be heard spinning, it didn't engage the ring gear and so the engine didn't turn over. I have removed the starter...

1998 honda accord won't start. [ 0 Answers ]

I need some help. My car ran out of gas two weeks ago and hasn't started since. I put more gas in the tank and when I tried to fire it up it wouldn't start. I thought that it might be the fuel system, e.g. fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, but after running some simple diagnostics, decided to...

1998 Honda Accord Running Problem [ 7 Answers ]

This problem just started recently. When I start my car, it doesn't have enough power to move. I push the pedal and the engine starts to stall. It never stalls, but it comes close. If I push the gas a little more, it comes back to life and stutters a bit. After about 2-5 minutes of driving the...

View more questions Search