Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AdyM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2008, 04:39 AM
    Deed-In-Leu of Foreclosure
    Due to my separation from my soon to be ex-husband, I'm in a process of foreclosure with my mortgage company, they are asking for some documents that I don't feel it is safe to give them away, Taxes and bank statements, I have a refund from my taxes this year... (not the incentive), can my mortgage company take that money (from bank and tax refund) from me? And what exactly it is a due-in-lue of foreclosure... that will help me?
    Aah... I'm in Florida...

AdyM
    :confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Deed in leu of foreclosure would be great for you if they are going to do it. It means you sign the house over to them and they don't foreclose to take it, doing that does not destroy your credit report.

But if a company does anything other than a foreclosure, short sale, deed in leu, or some other thing beyond getting all of their money and/or foreclsoure, they will want proof you can't afford to pay them, they will want to know you have no money to pay. So if you got a large refund, they may want to know why they were not paid, and they may decide not to be nice and helpful.
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Jun 2, 2008, 08:35 PM
    AdyM,

If you do a deed-in-lieu, make sure you negotiate with the lender to have your credit report cleared of negative information. Many people sign their home over to find out that the late payments, etc. still show up on their credit and it is very damaging.

A typical foreclosure costs the lender between $30,000 and $40,000. If you are being nice and "giving" them the house as opposed to making them "take" it, the least they could do is work with you.

It would be nice if they would report "paid as agreed".

LG

PS. The lender is going to want to see proof of financial hardship. You really should provide it to them if you want to make this work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deed in lieu of foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 rental properties in Arizona that are vacant, and a undeveloped piece of commercial land. Can I do a deed in lieu of on all 3 of these properties, since none of them have sold in the last year, or is a foreclosure a better way to go?

Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

I have a situation which to the best of my knowledge is quite a head spinner. There is a 1st Trust Deed on a property who has currently filed a Notice of Default. There is also a 2nd Trust Deed which was taken out 12 months ago. At the time of signing the paperwork for the 2nd Trust Deed the...

Deed in lieu of foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

We have purchased a home here in Louisiana approx 4 years ago. The home is only 6 years old and has flooded 4 times. These are not only floods with hurricanes but average Louisiana rains. We have drainage issues in the neighborhood that no-one will correct. We have hired attorneys to go after...

Is deed in lieu of foreclosure my only way out [ 1 Answers ]

I was going through nasty divorced when asked by friend if I could help out his house Was being foreclosed on.Agent for bank contacted me who I knew I told him I did not Want to do this. He invited me to restaurant where after few drinks I was handed papers To sign.I told him I did not want to...

View more questions Search