Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ewalk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2008, 09:40 PM
    Grandfathering of galvanized pipe
    Why is galvanised pipe not a good idea in a house? Why should it be removed? When was code written to outlaw it?

Thanks,
    ewalk
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 2, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ewalk
    why is galvanised pipe not a good idea in a house? Why should it be removed? When was code written to outlaw it?

Thanks,
    ewalk
    I'm a great person to ask. I live in a 50's home piped with galvanized. Years ago that's all we water piped with. The biggest problem with galvanized is that over the years rust builds up on the pipe walls cuttung down on the volume. That impacts the pressure severely when more then one fixture's making a draw. It shouls be replaced when you notice a pressure drop If more then one fixture's in use. I know of no code that forbids it. It's simply that better materials, copper, PVC, Pex to name a few, has passed galvanized by. Does this answer your question?
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace a large section galvanized pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I need to replace about 10 f galvanized pipe from water meter,can I use different pipe like pvc .what kind? Than you :( :( :(

Galvanized Pipe Stuck [ 4 Answers ]

http://mysite.verizon.net/fdraw/pipe.jpg Rusted galvanized pipe nipple is stuck in fitting in wall behind tile under bathroom sink. :( I have tried to remove it with a large pipe wrench, but it won't turn. I looking for any suggestions to get it out without damaging threads in fitting; WD40?...

Corrosion concern between brass ball valve and galvanized steel pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Is it going to cause the corrosion when connecting a galvanized steel nipple to a brass ball valve?

Low Pressure with galvanized pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am having low pressure/volume when I turn on the hot water, especially in the shower, the kitchen sink, and the dishwasher. I do have some galvanized pipe, but this problem came on suddenly this winter. Could the hot water heater have anything to do with this? It is 14 years old. Is there any...

View more questions Search