Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ambikapoddar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2008, 02:00 AM
    Working of a coal based thermal plant
    How does a coal based thermal plant work?
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 1, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Coal is used to heat a boiler. The boiler heats water to steam and is then sent through a turbine. The turbine spins a shaft and produces power. The lower quality steam then goes through a condenser to turn it back into water, then the process repeats.

This is a simplified explanation of the process known as the Rankine cycle. Modern power plants have many little extra steps to squeeze as much power as they can out of the steam, but what I described (simple Rankine) is basically it.

A Google search will return a lot more detailed information if you want it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Working in KY, taxes are based on NJ [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B and my wife and kid are on H4. We were here in US since June 2007. When I got my W2, my taxes are all based on NJ, none for KY. Do I still have to file my tax for KY? Thanks, Andrew

Natural gas more benign than coal or oil [ 1 Answers ]

It is commonly claimed that Natural gas use is better from a GreenHouse Gas perspective. Since oil, coal and gas all produce carbon dioxide when burnt, where is the scientific justification for this claim. My NET searches have been in vain.

How was coal created? [ 2 Answers ]

I am curious about how coal was created far below the surface of the earth. I have always thought that somehow it was compressed vegetable matter and if that is correct, how did it get covered so deeply?

How we desgin a coal based thermal power plant ? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, I want to know about the software used for desgining Coal Based Thermal Power Plant. If anybody knows about this type of software tell me. My some important queries are as follows. 1) How do we select the Boiler Auxiliaries? 2) How do we select the Steam Turbine Auxiliaries? 3)...

Painting Cabinets - Oil based or Water based? [ 1 Answers ]

Going to be painting my oak kitchen cabinets white. I heard that oil based paint would be best, but don't want to deal with the extra mess. Is there anything wrong with using a good acrylic enamel?

View more questions Search