Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 31, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    CM, here's what I used for my dog. No evasive, kind, and works like a charm. Also, you don't have to purchase, allot of pet stores will rent these collars out for a minimal price. Two weeks and my dog was trained. Check out the link.

Dog Training Collar Citronella Gentle Spray Collars

De-barking, in my opinion, is one of the cruelest things we as humans can do to a dog. I've met people with dogs that have been de-barked, those poor animals, it's the saddest thing you will ever hear, because yes, they can still make a sound, but it's not a bark, sounds like someone dry heaving. It is painful for the dog, and it is not reversible.

Good luck.

Cool, thank you, I will definitely ask at petco about themm.. Thanks again for the idea.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 31, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spinphoto
    I don't think they're speaking in regards to physical pain... it's really an thing of Ethics. It's like de-clawing your cat.

Chihuahua momma, when does your dog bark? Have you tried the water bottle? and if your dog is barking non-stop, it's clearly unbalanced, I'd try to find someone who specializes in dog psychology rather than obedience.
    Spinphoto, your post is a bit confusing. I think everyone believes that you don't think that the dog suffers with pain when being de-barked. I re-read your post a few times, and still really don't understand where you stand on this issue. Do you or do you not agree with de-barking your dog? From re-reading I think you don't agree, but I'm not sure, and that's why others gave you a disagree.

There are allot of other methods to get your dog to stop barking. I haven't read the book that you suggested, but that is something for CM to look in to. Personally, the citronella collar worked wonders for my dog, and the fact that it doesn't harm or hurt the dog was the main reason for me to try it. The water bottle is another way, but it is a bit harder, because you constantly have to be around the dog when it is barking, if the dog is barking while you are at work, then that's not really possible.

CM, are there family members or close friends that live nearby that could come and check on your dog while you are at work. Maybe take her for a quick walk, throw the ball around, let her out for a pee, that might help as well. Also, make sure she has tons of stuff to occupy her while you are gone, chew toys, or a kong stuffed with a treat. Let me know how it all works out.

Good luck.
    Vision Expert

May 31, 2008, 03:18 PM
    No, there's no one near enough to take her for a walk at lunch. And I think that would make things worse, as she barks for about any hour after I leave and around 6 when she knows I'm about to be home.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Here a few things you may try that might help if you haven't already tried them.
    Leave on the radio or the t.v.
    Leave her with a shirt that smells like you.
    Give her a kong filled with frozen goodies to work on while you are away.
    Vision Expert

May 31, 2008, 04:01 PM
    I've tried all those things. But thank you for the suggestions.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 31, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Little dogs tend to bark a lot. It's their nature to do this. I sure hope you can train her not to bark so much. My jack russell barks when I leave her in the house and go outside without her. She's just trying to get my attention. Good luck teaching her. I hope you succeed!
    Vision Expert

May 31, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Thanks Twinkiedooter.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 31, 2008, 10:53 PM
    I think your pups biggest problem is that she has separation anxiety issues. I don't believe in medicating dogs just to make it easier on the owners. How long do you take her out in the morning before you leave for work. You need to drain her energy before you leave.

Do you let her have the run of the home when you're gone? If you do, a smaller space might be necessary. You have to prepare her for the smaller space though, or that won't work either. You need to do that when you are home. She needs to be put in a small space, and then made to stay there, while you are going about your normal routine. Put her in a small space, somewhere that has a door. Leave the door open at first, but if she tries to come out, send her back, with no words other than a short command. You might have to do it a lot of times.

Once she has learned that she has to stay in the designated place, start opening and closing the door every few minutes, but again don't let her come out. Still with no exictment or talking, just a command for her to go back to her place. Make normal noises, like you would when you are normally home.

This should work, if it's done consistently, to reduce her abandonment and anxiety issues. Also, when you come home, DO NOT get her excited saying things like,. "mommie's home", (also not when you leave) Calmly open the door where she is, don't let her come out immediately, and then invite her out. If she gets too excited because of your excitement, she becomes anxious. Once you are in charge, and she knows it is only okay for her to come out when you say so,. give her ALL THE LOVE IN THE WORLD!

Don't worry that this is being mean or hurtful to her. It will teach her that you are her pack leader, and she has to follow your lead. That will make her a lot happier than sitting and being anxious all day, wondering when you will return with excitement!

I hope I explained that in a way that was easy to understand. It really does work, and stops the barking. The first key is to drain her energy first. I understand you might not have a lot of time before work in the mornings, and it's hard. Actually, if you have a treadmill, you could try to get her to walk on that too, to save you some time in the morning. I know this has worked for some people, so it's just another option for you.

Good luck! :) I would hate for you to have to give up your sweet girl!
    Vision Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 08:00 AM
    She stays in the kitchen with a baby gate while I'm not home. That's not an issue. And I don't greet her until she is quiet. She goes out for a walk before work, just to the end of the parking lot and back.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2008, 08:30 AM
    I'd say that she needs more exercise in the morning before you leave. I'd be trying for at least a half hour brisk walk. (Brisk for you, it would be good if she was running, which is pretty easy to do with a chi.) If that doesn't wear her out, then you may need to go up to an hour. Little dogs have a lot of energy, and they need to be exercised a lot. And, as any trainer will tell you, a tired dog is a good dog.
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Jun 1, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Chihuahua momma, I never said animals can't be lonely, I disagree in this case, the dog isn't lonely. The souls comment is just plain futile. Everyone on this forum should open their minds to this book. For a long time, people have been raising their dogs in an unnatural way to them, which causes confusion and in essence, causes behavior problems. I have a wonderful balanced dog. He looks up to me as his leader and he is the follower, he is polite, calm and obedient. With no obedience classes at all. He is a rescue dog and came with a bag full of behavior problems, which is probably how why he was abandoned in the first place. I rehabilitated him and he is so happy go lucky now, his life is fulfilled as a dog.

Progunr: Again, did I mention the dog doesn't feel physical pain? Please, I'm am not incompetent, I was pointing out how some are against the procedure or find it cruel because it's painful and also because it is robbing the dog of what is natural to it, (personal ethics~~) as some people believe de-clawing their cat is also wrong for the same reasons.

And, Starbuck, this isn't a matter of obedience training. If everyone understood the psychology of a dog, their dogs wouldn't have behavior problems, dogs aren't born with 'issues' in fact there aren't any issues until, they're introduced to humans.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 1, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Spinphoto! What I wrote was exactly what I saw Cesar Milan do with a dog with the same issues. For future reference, I do have his book also!

The dogs energy has to be drained first and foremost! Not just a walk to end of the parking lot. Vigorous exercise in the morning is necessary!

Edit: I too have a well balanced dog!
    Vision Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 05:11 PM
    I've actually tried walking her farther, she tries laying down. I have to wake up at 4am to get her to take that long of a walk, and she just doesn't want to. She goes to the park for 1 1/2 hours every day at five or so... usually a bit after 6.

Spinphoto--How can you be so sure that my dog isn't lonely?
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Jun 1, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Well, honestly now that you've mentioned she refuses to walk, it sounds to me like a leadership issue.. which is totally typical of little dogs, they're princesses..
    I agree with starbuck, that is exactly how I got my dog to stop freaking out when I left the house...
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 1, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I've actually tried walking her farther, she tries laying down. I have to wake up at 4am to get her to take that long of a walk, and she just doesn't want to. She goes to the park for 1 1/2 hours every day at five or so....usually a bit after 6.

Spinphoto--How can you be so sure that my dog isn't lonely?
    Well that is awfully early to get up, before a full days work! Have you checked into professional dog walkers in the area you are moving to? Often, if you contact the ASPCA, they have walkers that they will recommend, in your price range. You may even want to get to know your neighbors in your new apt. and see if anyone would be willing to walk her, and check on her throughout the day... or they might even have older kids that would be willing to do it for spending money! If you or a dog walker has a bike or roller blades, that would be helpful to drain her energy a lot quicker too! Just make sure you start slow, since she is probably not used to that, and keep a short leash.

I recommended a treadmill also. It might be a good investment, and time saver, so you wouldn't have to get up so early. You might be able to find a second hand one. It doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles, just something to make her walk to drain her energy, until you are home and able to take her out to the dog park.

Don't let her decide when you are going on walks. That is part of being the pack leader. She follows your lead, not the other way around. That gives her control, and you need to let her know that you are the one that is in control. Don't feel bad that because she's a little dog, that you don't want her feelings to be hurt. You are teaching her acceptable behaviour. Little dogs are no different than big dogs. They all need to be taught the same way.
    Vision Expert

Jun 1, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Spinphoto, she doesn't want to walk that early in the morning because she'd rather sleep. I don't think that there is a leadership issue. She obeys all of my commands.

I can't afford to get a treadmill or hire someone to walk her, I just recently became employed after not having a job after 6 weeks, I'm still in catch up mode.

But thanks for the suggestions.
    Pets Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spinphoto
    Progunr: Again, did I mention the dog doesn't feel physical pain? Please, I'm am not incompetent, I was pointing out how some are against the procedure or find it cruel because it's painful and also because it is robbing the dog of what is natural to it, (personal ethics~~) as some people believe de-clawing their cat is also wrong for the same reasons.

Were did you hear that a dog doesn't feel pain when being de-barked? I'd like to see written proof by experts about that bit of info. Are you saying that cats don't feel pain when being de-clawed? Well, I've seen both operations, I've also been around the animal after the procedure, if they aren't in physical pain, then they sure do play the part very well. Eventually the pain will go away, the animal will get use to the unnaturalness of no longer having a voice, but they will feel pain after the procedure is done, just like any other living creature would after an operation.
    Vision Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 01:02 PM
    I couldn't stand seeing my baby after she got fixed. She was so miserable. | hated it.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 2, 2008, 01:19 PM
    CM, that may have had more to do with her anxiety issues... not the actual procedure. They heal pretty quickly from that, and most dogs are back to their normal self the same or next day. I've had many dogs spayed or neutered, and have never once seen any ill effects. I know you love her, but are you perhaps babying her too much? I know I tend to do that to, and I really have to stop myself sometimes, because I don't want her to be anxious when I leave the house. I still give her lots of love, but I try and let her be on her own when I am home, so she is used to that when I do have to leave.
    Pets Expert

Jun 2, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Exactly CM.

Spinphoto;I don't begrudge anyone their right to choose what they want for their dog, obviously it's legal to de-bark a dog, allot of vets will do it, allot won't. I do have a problem with people giving out mis-information, saying that the dog won't feel pain is not true. Also, if you've ever heard a dog after he's been de-barked, you would never be able to do it, it is the saddest thing I've ever heard.

Sorry if I sound snappy, I feel very strongly about this, especially since there are so many other methods of getting your dog to stop barking. Remember, this is their voice, how would you feel if someone took your voice away?

CM, really, try the citronella spray collar, if that doesn't work then I'll do some more research for you and we'll find something that will. Okay? Hugs. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Barking Dog going to be taken away! [ 6 Answers ]

My friends boyfriend has an Akita that is disrupting the neighborhood with constant barking. She has a doggie door, and loves to be outside. She doesn't bark when there is someone home, but as soon as they leave, the barking is constant! If she is left inside during the day when they are at...

Dog barking to go outside at 3am [ 13 Answers ]

Hello. We have two 5 year old, female weimaraners. Awesome dogs. However, in the last month or so one of them gets up to go outside every night at around 3:00am. She goes outside before we go to bed and pees. When she goes out at 3am she pees and poops. She'll bark outside our bedroom door and then...

Barking Dog [ 2 Answers ]

Paddy and his missus are lying in bed listening to the next door Neighbour's' dog barking. It had been barking for hours and hours. Suddenly Paddy jumps up out of bed and says "I've had enough of this". He goes downstairs. Paddy finally comes back up to bed and his wife says, "The dog...

Barking mad [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a 2 year old long hair dachshund he is my best friend and we both have been through a lot together especially this year , but he has a barking problem. When I go to work he barks all day and I only know this because my neighbours have complained about him . When he is with me he is...

Three Dachshunds and a lot of barking! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have always found help at this site (especially from Labman), and I'd like to ask another question that has become a major issue in our household. In two years our family has grown from my husband and I into us plus three dachshunds. We are a happy family of five with a very noisy...

View more questions Search