Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cleancondenser Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 08:33 PM
    Three computer network
    Iam attempting to create a three desktop computer home network
    I may also wish to tie in a laptop here and there
    All the computers have an N.I.C.
    Can they be daisey chained on one bus,or do they have to be star configured through a Hub or a switch
    I have the longest wire run at Fifty feet,can I use UTP
    If I want to open a Word file located on one of the other computers,will I use plain old Windows Explorer or do I use Internet explorer
    Will I have to assign an IP address to each node or is the MAC address enough
    Internet access :
    I have plain old dial up,is it possible for the other computers to also access the internet through one computer
    I gather it is not possible for all three to be on line at once if there is only one phone line,
    Swiches, Hubs, Routers
    They appear all the same to me yet I realize each one must have a separate function

Thank you
    vartan Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Mar 2, 2006, 09:11 PM
    I suggest a switch.. hub will work too but a switch distributes bandwidth when a hub shares it.. a router is really only needed if you are looking for a firewall built in... Put them in a star configuration and the switch will assign them all the IP's needed nothing else to do.. just make sure all computers are on the same workgroup. What version of windows are you using? I unfortunately don't think you can share the dial up access.. but you may be able to.
    cleancondenser Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2006, 05:14 AM
    All use Windows XP
    I gather then the IP s will be automatically assigned
    My own hard drive is C:
    On "My Computer" will
    The other hardrives be assigned other letters automatically
    For instance my flash stick always is assigned letter E:
    Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 3, 2006, 07:22 AM
    If you are looking to share a broadband connection get a router. There are many such devices, some include wireless capability. They all include a 4 port switch for your wired devices.

These routers include a DHCP server, that manages the assignment of IPs on your LAN. Without a DHCP server IPs are not automatically assigned. Usually these IPs are in the 192.168 range which are private IPs not addressable from the Net. The router uses NAT (Network Address Translation) to determine what data packates go to which device.

Nor is mapping hard drives automatically done. Look up Mapping in XP Help for specifics on how to do that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 3, 2006, 07:26 AM
    If you are looking to share an Internet connection get a router. There are a few devices that will work with Dialup, but you have to search for them. Here is one example:

http://www.wiflyer.com/StoreFront.bok

They all include a 4 port switch for your wired devices.

These routers include a DHCP server, that manages the assignment of IPs on your LAN. Without a DHCP server IPs are not automatically assigned. Usually these IPs are in the 192.168 range which are private IPs not addressable from the Net. The router uses NAT (Network Address Translation) to determine what data packates go to which device.

Nor is mapping hard drives automatically done. Look up Mapping in XP Help for specifics on how to do that.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Apr 7, 2006, 04:47 PM
    Also checkout the free demo or network magic at networkmagic.com its an awesome and easy to use home network manager, it will connect your whole network and printers and such and you can monitor all activity from 1 interface.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Jawed from kuwait . I have three PC with windows 98 and having one hub , how I will connect each other. I want to see one computer to view all other directory but other are not allowed . How I can do this

Computer network concepts [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I want to know about computer network concept and principle Bus,star,. configuration ,network devices router,hub,modem,. Please introduce me well papers or send them me. Thanks a lot

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

Two Network cards in One computer accessing two networks.. [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if you could help me with a small problem. I have one network card (A) accessing the internal network i.e.. Net. Printer, shared folders on other computers, and shared servers. Another network card (B) accessing a public network address for VoIP and T1 traffic i.e.. Ports...

View more questions Search