Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ejj88 Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2006, 03:38 PM
    Low Hot water pressure
    I am sure this has been posted and asked on here many many times but need some advice on this... We have been noticing lower pressure to our hot water faucets in our home over a period of the last couple months. Most noticeably at the shower/bath faucet. The shower head actually has an annoying squeal when the hot water is turned warmer.

I have tried flushing HWH in the past but that has not done anything. I am going to try to do that again tonight but more thoroughly and take it from there.

If there is any more things that I can try as a homeowner, please let me know as I want to avoid calling a plumber to avoid them costs if at all possible.

Much thanks in advance.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 2, 2006, 04:45 PM
    Pump or city water? If on a pump is there minerals in the water? What kind of water pipes? Have you removed the water saver from the shower head and soaked it in white vinegar? Regards, Tom

Mar 3, 2006, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Pump or city water? If on a pump is there minerals in the water? What kind of water pipes? Have you removed the water saver from the shower head and soaked it in white vinegar? Regards, Tom
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have city water.
    I was getting some deposits showing up in the stains on the kitchen sink faucet a few months back so not sure what or where that was coming from.
    It has since stopped so I would say that yes I have had some deposits going through the pipes in the past. The pipes are copper.
    I have removed the shower head to see if there is any blockage there but have not removed anything or took apart the shower head. I will look at that tonight to see if it can be taken apart. I did replace the shower head a while back and that did nothing for my problem.

Any other ideas??
    THANKS AGAIN.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 3, 2006, 10:24 AM
    OK,
    Give me the brand name of your tub/shower valve and it's age and I'll instruct you on how to clean it and flush out your supplies. Regards, tom

Mar 3, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Are you referring to the shower head itself?
    It may have some blockage there, yes, but the low pressure is at all how water outlets.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 3, 2006, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj88
    Are you referring to the shower head itself?
    It may have some blockage there, yes, but the low pressure is at all how water outlets.
    Then the problem's in the hot water system and not primarily in the T & S valve as I thought. Mineral builds up in your water heater and if it's not flushed out on a regular maintenance schedule will eventually be drawn up into your pipes and clog the inlet ports and supplies of the hot water system. I know you've been flushing your heater but let me show you how one more time
    Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it.
    This is just the begaining. After you flush the heater out, (by the way how old is the heater?) you will have to start at the first faucet after the heater and open it up, clean out the seats and/or inlet ports on the cartridge and then turn the water back on before you reassemble to flush out the supplies. Then move on to the next one and do the same thing to every faucet that's affected. I realize this is a hassle but I know of no other way except a repipe job and new faucets to make things right. Good luck, Tom

Mar 3, 2006, 01:26 PM
    The HWH is over 8 years and probably somewhere around 10 years old. I am starting the think that it needs replaced because I if I am getting some residuals from the faucets now, those have to be coming from the HWH and even if I find the clog-it will probably only return. Am I not correct in thinking this?

How much labor timewise would go into replacing out a HWH?
    Thank you.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 3, 2006, 03:29 PM
    I can drain, unhook and replace a waterheater in under 2 hours.
    " even if I find the clog-it will probably only return. Am I not correct in thinking this?"
    The clog you refer to is in the system and the faucets. It's not just one clog. Every faucet has drawn the "residuals" up into the cartridge inlet ports and/or the seats.
    After you replace your heater, (The average life of a water heater is 8 years) You will still have to purge your system and faucets of the crud that has been accumulating over the years. Once you have your system back and running make it a habit to flush yout heater. Good luck, Tom

Mar 4, 2006, 07:54 AM
    Thanks for the advice, Now to decide whethere to pay the labor or tackle myself. I had a buddy offer his assistence so may go that route.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 4, 2006, 10:16 AM
    Thanks for the advice, Now to decide whethere to pay the labor or tackle myself. I had a buddy offer his assistence so may go that route.
    If we can be of any assistance please feel free to call upon us. Good luck, Tom

Mar 6, 2006, 09:20 AM
    I will be replacing my HWH because it is that old and it is time to. Meanwhile, I do believe the HWH it is the cause for my low hot pressure by passing breakdown of sediments and causing a blockage in a line or faucet somewhere. However, I think I need to find the reason for the low pressure first and then do the replacement. After messing with this over the weekend, I am come to the conclusion that there must be some blockage at the hot water side of my bathtub faucet. The pressure at the other outlets are only a little lower than the cold is whereas the pressure at the bath faucet is signigicaltly lower (like 50%) than the cold is.
    Would a change of bath faucets be a good idea here. I tried flushing the HWH completely and tried to backflush the lines but did not help.
    Other question is... Is a permit usually required by a city to make a HWH change?
    Thanks again for any help given.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Mar 6, 2006, 02:40 PM
    Is a permit usually required by a city to make a HWH change?
    Usually not.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 6, 2006, 03:28 PM
    "Other question is... Is a permit usually required by a city to make a HWH change?"
    There's nothing in the code books that would force you to pull a permit. In all my years I have never run across local codes in any city that even suggests that you do, so the answer is like Moshie says, no. Cheers, Tom

Mar 15, 2006, 01:03 PM
    Well. After entire weekend of total misery we have finished my mission.
    We started Friday night by changing out the HWH, that went fine. However, with the new HWH all the pressure it provided all the bits and pieces, from what had to be a total demolished dip tube, were forced to through all the lines and into faucets so our pressure issue was actually worse that before the new HWH. So, I then go to each faucets one at a time to clean and flush out to get pressure back. All are succesfull except the bathtub faucet. That was mess. It took 2 very full days of taking the old faucets out and then having to re-soder lines so could install new faucet. I sodered and sodered and would get one leak fixed and then would get a new leak. Anyway, ended up tearing out the bath surround and drywall to be able to get at the pipes so could soder more properly. Finally got all lines hooked up leak free. Had time to eat a quick supper and then was time to replace the surround. FInally about midnight last night all was COMPLETE!
    Why is some sort of small projects turn into a weekend of pain and misery before something gets finished?
    THANKS FOR THE HELP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Low water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have a well and I am losing pressure off and on during the day. I have a water softener but it is not charging at the time of the low pressure. It occurs throughout the house not just one sink or bathroom. What could my problem be?

Water pressure/water softener? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "waterfall" faucet in my tub (separate shower). I turned on the water to the tub the other day and it barely runs. Then tonight my daughter was running the tub faucet and I had no hot water pressure to the kitchen. This has never been a problem. I understand from reading that we may...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search