Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seannaik Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 02:48 PM
    Murray Riding Lawn Mower will not start
    I have a 12.5 HP I/C murray riding mover. When trying to start, it would turn and crank.
    But would not turn over and start. It seems as if engine is turning too freely. Checked the sparkplug, it's OK. It was running this season, so it could not be the fuel line, could it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:confused:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 27, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Check the flywheel key.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Yep, the flywheel key could be the cause.

May 28, 2008, 10:43 AM
    What is a flywheel key? And How do I check it or replace it? Sorry for sounding dum.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2008, 11:32 AM
    I can't find any good refererences, but his is a start.

How is the flywheel and key inspected?

The flywheel usually does not have to be removed to inspect it, but removing a flywheel when the flywheel key has been sheared can be difficult. There is a slot in the flywheel hole and a corresponding slot in the crackshft. There should be a contiguous piece of metal (Key) spanning the slots. If the key is sheared the flywheel will free spin without subsequent turning of the crankshaft or the engine will be out of time becase of the wrong placement.

May 29, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Flywheel key seems to be OK. Not sheared or cracked. What's next??
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 02:13 PM
    How free does the flywheel move?
    How free does the shaft move?
    Did you hit anything?
    What make engine does this thing have? Tecumseh Briggs etc?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My murray 11hp riding lawn mower will not start. [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried all I know to try and still my murray 11hp mower won't run. I need to know if there are any more fuses besides the one by the celenoid. I replaced the battery, starter switch, celanoid, sparkplug, and 15amp fuse by the celenoid. Are there any more fuses that I should look for? ...

Murray Riding Lawn Mower will not start [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Murray Riding Mower that has a problem in the electrical starter control system. The starter does not turn. I have replaced the solenoid and the problem remains. I have used jumpers to bypass all the safety switched one at a time and also bypassed all of them with no change in the...

Murray 12.5 HP 40" riding lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know how to install the belt on a Murray 12.5 HP 40" riding lawnmower.

Murray Riding Lawn Mower [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Guys.. When I crank my mower... it turns over but will not actually crank. I should start by saying that I did a "no-no". I had a weak battery and several times used my car to start (jump off) the lawn mower.. Since then I have gotten a new battery, but now it won't crank. I noticed smoke...

Wires on murray riding lawn mower. [ 3 Answers ]

My dog pulled wires loose on our mower. I don't have the instruction booklet to put them back correctly. Please help!

View more questions Search