Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    hollyandjohn's Avatar
    hollyandjohn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 1, 2006, 11:23 PM
    Regaining custod of my children from the state
    The neighbor called the police on me and my ex-boyfriend. She claimed that she seen him beating me up. So the police came and ran our names and come to find out I had 2 outstanding warrants for my arrest. One was for not returning video tapes that I had rented. And the other one was for back child support. While I was in jail the state of Michigan took my children. I was only in jail for 3 days, and when I got out I found out that I had to go to court to fight for my children back. I have been fighting the state for almost 2 years now. I went to court on Feb. 28 and the judge decided to put my children in foster care permanently. I need to know how to get my boys back. We had a house fire in may of last year and had a trailer given to us. We need to get a new bathroom floor put in and a ground wire hooked up. That's all we needed to do to get my boys back. I need help on getting them back home with me. How do I get them back home?

    Thank you,
    Holly Cook
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Mar 2, 2006, 04:03 AM
    You need really to get your life straight first. You did not address the boyfriend beating on you,

    You do not need to be in an abusivie relationship nor do the children need to be in such a relationship. I wlll be on my soap box for a bit here but why not take this time to fix your life up as you fix up a place to live.

    I just think there is a lot more to this story than the surface has scratched.
    fredg's Avatar
    fredg Posts: 4,928, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

    Mar 2, 2006, 06:11 AM
    Hi, Holly,
    When a State takes over custody of children, it is normally for very, very good reasons; with many different considerations such as previous behavior, and not just based on one single thing.
    Getting your own life together, and in order, is the first step.
    The next step is to hire a lawyer, without which you really don't have much chance.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    I am not a Professional nor a Lawyer, just someone with many experiences out of life.
    VLynn123's Avatar
    VLynn123 Posts: 35, Reputation: 5
    Junior Member

    Mar 3, 2006, 08:47 AM
    I think there's more to the story then what you're telling. If your ex-boyfriend was beating you then the children shouldn't be in that environment. I think you should get your life back together first before the children comes back.
    weda_7526's Avatar
    weda_7526 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Mar 6, 2006, 06:17 PM
    I have to disagree with the other experts on this issue. What you need to do to get your kids back is simple. You first need to get rid of the boyfriend that was abusing you. Get a better place to live. Take any class that the state says to take and do EVERYTHING they ask of you.
    My kids were taken for the same reason as yours and they ended up getting adopted out. I already have one conviction on my judge and we are filing the second appeal. So there is hope. You need to do what is best for your kids. You have to look long and hard for the answer. GOOD LUCK.
    serialwife's Avatar
    serialwife Posts: 117, Reputation: 16
    Junior Member

    Mar 28, 2006, 03:45 PM
    First of all children can not be put in permanent foster care. In 1997 Clinton signed into law the Adoption and Safe Family Act. It states that a child can no longer grow up in foster care. After 15 months the goal for the children will be changed to adoption. Are they attempting to terminate your paretnal rights?
    Second, the social workers who removed your children must have completed a case plan with you detailng out what you must do to get your children back. I would assume there is more to this than you needing a bathroom floor. Did they suggest anger management, counseling, Domestic violence assessment, or psychological help.
    CaptainForest's Avatar
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

    Mar 28, 2006, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hollyandjohn
    I had 2 outstanding warrants for my arrest. One was for not returning video tapes that I had rented. And the other one was for back child support.
    I understand the second warrant.

    But, the first warrant? Warrants can be issues for not returning video tapes! Isn’t that a civil matter? And besides, what proof is there that you have the video tape!

    At my local video store they just ask for a name and number, heck, I could give them any name and number….

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regaining Custody of My Children [ 8 Answers ]

I, too am attempting to regain custody of my children. Mine, however is more of an economical "battle" in that my children were with me for 6 years following a divorce, but now after having to represent myself in Pro Per against my ex-husband's mother's ($$$ and) attorney I found to my surprise,...

Regaining custody [ 7 Answers ]

My ex done a lot of underhanded things over 3 yrs. Ago and he has custody of my two boys. I have been paying child support. They want to stay with me, he is a drug abuser among other things. He hacked into my email to delete some nasty emails he sent me. I printed them out before he deleted...

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

State to state garnishing [ 1 Answers ]

Can the North Carolina Dept. of Revenue legally seize property, garnish wages or bank accounts of a South Carolina resident? Also, all property, wages, and accounts are in South Carolina.

Regaining custody after 11 years [ 3 Answers ]

I have contacted an attorney to regain custody of my children after the grandparents having guardianship for 11 years. What would be my chances of winning this long emotional battle?

View more questions Search