Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uberhahn Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Honeywell to Carrier Thermostat wiring
    Honeywell TH4110D thermostat. Carrier 58PAV90 Furnace. Recently had to replace the carrier board, but failed to make note of the wiring for the thermostat and AC

Terminal - Wire

White - White
    Yellow - Blue
    Green - Green
    Rc/R - Red

On the Carrier 58PAV090

Green - ?
    Red - ?
    Yellow - ?
    White - ?
    Com - ?

I also have a Red and White for the AC unit. I've tried a few combinations, but failed(blew 3A fuse).

So, where do the thermostat wires go on the furnace board, and where do the AC (Red and White) lines go? Thanks,
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 26, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Here is the complete manual for your furnace. It has all the drawings and diagrams.

http://www.alltemp-hvac.com/58pa-15si.pdf

May 27, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Great, thank you. Just so I'm clear, Pg. 9, fig. 9:

The two wires from the condensing unit going to Com and Y on the furnace board - does it matter which way (Red to com, or White to com)?

Thanks again.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 27, 2008, 10:49 AM
    It does not make a difference.

May 30, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Well, I followed the wiring diagram... I also ran the R and W from the condenser as per the diagram... keep blowing the small 3A fuse. Once I disconnect the condenser, the fan and heat controls work fine.

Also, if the condenser wires (R and W) are connected to the furnace board to terminals Y and Com, and the blue wire disconnected from the Y terminal, the blower works fine, but the condenser does not start. In this case the fuse does not blow...

I'm stumped...
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 10:08 PM
    Did you have problems before you changed the thermostat or was that the reason for changing the thermostat?

May 31, 2008, 09:51 AM
    I didn't replace the thermostat. Last winter I had to replace the furnace motor (bearing seized). At the same time I replaced the circuit board in the furnace. Heating and blowing work fine. Just the AC condenser does not switch on, fuse blows.

I think I've got a short somewhere in the R W wires coming from the AC. I'll have to check that out next...

May 31, 2008, 11:43 AM
    OK, so here's an update...

I checked the wiring itself to the condenser (AC). I disconnected it from the unit itself and checked continuity or checked for a short in the wiring. No shorts, wiring good.

I checked the "contactor" or transformer. Short. Full continuity, regardles of contactor position. I'm guessing that's the problem.

Looks like a service call... got to find the warranty info...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement of Carrier Heat Pump Thermostat with Honeywell TH6000 series thermostat. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Series 50QT Electric heat pump that still uses the original non programmable thermostat. I am trying to replace it with Honeywell TH6000 series programmable thermostat. The wiring on the existing Thermostat as follows: O - White, I am thinking this is the Reversing Valve? Y...

Wiring codes from old Carrier thermostat to new Hunter thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

WIRING CODE HELP FOR THERMOSTAT I am in an office and have an old Carrier programmable thermostat which no longer works. I purchased a Hunter 44660 thermostat to replace. My problem is that the wiring codes on the previous thermostat do not match up the codes on the new thermostat. Codes and...

Programmable Thermostat wiring to Carrier A/C [ 6 Answers ]

I have a brand new home, and I believe, Carrier AC (doesn't say on the outside, but sure it is) AC Unit outside, and my dogs chewed the thermostat wires. The Thermostat is A Honeywell Programmable. There are 4 colored wires that are coming out of the Thermostat R,Y,G,W. There are two wires that are...

Verifying carrier to hunter thermostat wiring choices [ 4 Answers ]

I've just bought a Hunter programmable thermostat. I'm replacing a non-programmable Carrier thermostat that I don't think is that old (the house is ~ 4 yrs old now). I'm not 100% sure on the wiring. Can someone verify the hookup I've used below? Thanks, Tim Original Carrier Wire Code =>...

Wiring a carrier ac to a hunter thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I Need To Know Witch Wires To Hook Up From The Ac To The Thermostat Since They Do Not All Match In Color. I Have A 3 Ton Carrier Ac.the Wires For The Thermostat From The Ac Are Light Green Yellow Tan Orange The Thermostat Hookups Are W

View more questions Search